Sunday, August 01, 2004
Vindicated on "Reine" Devilla ^_^
Well, this past week was when Viz shipped its own 7th volume of Wedding
Peach manga, the book they called "Young Love", which is what they call
the often overlooked stories of Wedding Peach, done by Yazawa-sensei for
Shougaku sannen-sei magazine.
I've not read it in depth yet, but it seems at first glance to be a
general retelling of the Wedding Peach series in one book. And man this
is a thick book for your $9.95.
It suffers from the typical Viz-itis, like Fuuma Yousuke's name is just
"Fuma Yosuke" which is very incorrect. It's Viz-itis, and it's going to
happen in their own stuff anyway, annoying as it is.
However, it brought me back to the problem with Devilla's full name. I
couldn't find anything that I could remember in Secret File that
supported her name being "Rain Devilla" as opposed to "Reine Devilla." I
kinda remember Barbara or someone saying the first part is a phonetic
spelling in kana of the French word for Queen. ^.^
I checked to make sure using AltaVista's Babel fish thingy. (I have a
badly beaten up French dictionary around here in a box... Can't find
it..) So I plugged in "queen" and selected English to French.
The result was "Reine" as I thought it would be. ^_^
I don't know where in Secret File it states where part of her name is
queen in French as I didn't do the entire book, but it's probably in
there.
I mean, even though Pluie is French for shower or somesuch doesn't mean
Devilla's name is related in part.
I wanted to settle this little thing once and for all since getting that
book of Viz manga, and unless emailing Yazawa-sensei turns up anything
otherwise (she does speak English btw), I'd say it is finally settled.
The main recourse I have is getting white out and covering up "Rain". If
I ever get some Deleter Black, I could use the Maru tip and letter in
Reine at some point. ^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment