Saturday, August 07, 2004
Oh My Goddess to change format...
I hope to put this here until I can post on the boards at Dark Horse.
They use the same board software as my friend does on his site, but
clicking on Submit with WebTV just gets a stupid stare...
Well, first off, I can't say that I like hearing about the issues
ceasing. Viz already did that with all the stuff I used to buy, and I
think we have Tokyopop to thank for popularizing the $9.99 manga book in
the first place.
I would miss seeing those monthly issues, and I'm sure the title itself
benefits from the regular shelf exposure it gets.
Seeing the manga unflipped would be a big benefit to the artwork.
However, DH has to compete with other publishers for my manga dollars,
so they can price it whatever they want as long as it's $9.99 to $10.99
just like everyone else. I'm not going to fork over $15 for a book
anymore - I think the market has gotten to the point where it's viable
to sell a volume of manga as a graphic novel for $9.99 and it'll sell.
ADV tried offering Nuku Nuku manga, but the first book was listed for
$14.99. As much as I'd like to see that manga, I ain't paying $15 for
it. Fuggetit.
Del Rey has some manga out at $10.99, so their $1 more in price isn't
that bad. But $15? Come on. That's not funny anymore.
I'd rather see Oh My Goddess! continue in an issue format. I don't think
the change would be due to sales figures - hey, how about offering some
sales figures? So many other manga and anime companies who bring out
product here are so loathe to providing actual sales figures. I know
they're not publically held companies, but still I think this info is
available for stuff in Japan, so it's not like it's going to help or be
viewed badly as bragging - when fans see their favorite titles selling
well, it feels good to cheer them on, ne? Well, we can't, and have only
statistics provided by things like Diamond in Previews to show any
indication as to what's selling.
Anywho in summary
I'd rather see the (monthly) issues continue.
Unflipped is good.
Price the English tankoubon at $9.99 so fans can still afford it,
because everyone else is coming out with mostly $9.99 books, too.
yoroshiku onegai shimasu nyo
No comments:
Post a Comment