Wednesday, August 04, 2004

TV programs I could watch all day...


Recently, I've begun to notice that much of the time I watch BBC America
off our Dish Network thingy, it's usually one of those home remodelling
shows. But they're really good!

There's Changing Rooms (ripped off by The Learning Channel as Trading
Spaces - which is 1 hour long and has lots of boring bits - ie it's too
long at 1 hour), where 2 couples, hopefully friends, go into each
other's houses and remodel 1 room in 2 days, with a budget as allowed by
the show. I don't know who pays for this, but it makes for good TV. Only
a few times did one couple not like what was done, and in 1 episode was
there a disaster, such as a bunch of shelves hung from the ceiling on
wires and they snapped. The tragedy of it all was the lady's tea pot
collection, some of which was ceramic.

Then there's the clever House Invaders. One designer, 2 handy builder
guys, and the couple's leftovers, such as wood, paint, fabric, and
anything else that can be re-used, and the items in the design kit. They
go through 3 rooms and give them touch ups in only 1 day!

Then of course there's the popular Ground Force. In 2 days the crew
comes in and just makes over the backyard aka "garden" of someone's home
and surprises them. Amazing job they do. There's Ground Force America,
which is 1 hour long, and I wonder where that one gardener guy is
because he's not in some of the episodes I've seen recently. Is he in
the British half hours only?

I noticed that if you can get all 3 shows to come to your house, you can
get 4 rooms re-done and your backyard, and all you have to do is 2 days
of labor in exchange. ^.^

Of course there's a couple shows here I like to see. Monster House on
Discovery is great, though I hate the shows where one or more members of
the build crew start fighting. Guys with big egos just need to stay
away. 5 days and you can have a new home!

ABC has "Extreme Make-over: Home Edition". They usually look for
families that can really use a home facelift, which is great. I don't
think they've selected a family that didn't deserve it. One week, the
family goes on vacation courtesy of the network, and the home is gutted
and rebuilt. It's amazing what can be done in a week with a crew of
hundreds. ^_^

No comments: