Friday, August 06, 2004

This past week: Visit to Lent's, new rule about toads


For some reason recently, our ISP has been dropping carrier for no
reason. I mean, WebTV is designed to work with call waiting, but when my
mom's online with her system and the line hangs up, then it's definitely
the ISP's servers going wonky. Irritating...

tonikaku, we now have a new rule around here about my 2nd niece and her
fascination about toads. This came about because of our dog looking at
or behind the refrigerator because she knew something was there. Then
next thing mom knew - Plop! - it jumped on her foot! The dog had been
picking it up in its mouth and spitting it out. Anywho, it surprised mom
to no end...

(had a hangup - and I heard line noise... I hope the electric people
moving the pole and all didn't futz up our phone line, too... Grrr...!!)

So she called my sister and told her about it and they had a general
discussion with my niece.

Went to visit a friend yesterday. Had been after him for a copy of a CD
we had played on our way up to Anime North, and got that done. I sent
him a copy of my AN2k4 footage for stuff I had promised a couple of
people in exchange for stuff they sent me. I hope the copy comes out
fine because Lent's VCRs were known in the past to not be all that clean
and reliable for recording, but maybe he's got that taken care of.
Crossing fingers as I play the tape soon.

But one thing I really wanted to do was visit the Asian food store near
his house. I was out of curry mix and I wanted to get another
Okonomiyaki mix as well, and a couple of other things that looked good.

Finally got to understand the difference between regular curry and
"Vermont Curry" which has a touch of apple and honey flavoring. I'll try
it, but I'm not that keen on additional sweetness in stuff. I hate
candied yams, for example. Potatoes are not meant to be eaten in any
sweet state!! Period!

Then we went for Chinese takeout. I love Chinese and Japanese food. I'm
still fighting this stupid cold, so I decide to order "Curry Beef" (as
opposed to Beef Curry - the lady at the counter repeated "Curry Beef" -
so I guess we've all been saying it wrong all these years... ^_^;;). And
a small order of vegie lo mein and 2 egg rolls.

The Egg Rolls at this place are AWESOME. They're at least twice as big
as other rolls I've gotten. But the curry wasn't as hot as the first
time we'd been there, which must have been.. 6 or 7 years ago? The
Monkey Wards store nearby was still open then. I ordered Curry chicken
if I remember right, and I made the mistake then of finishing my drink
before the food was done. As it turned out, either the curry this time
was plenty hot or my cold has my taster on the fritz. I mean, even after
a mouth full of that hot food, I couldn't taste a mouthful of pop I
swalled after it to wash away some of the burn. "I can't taste my pop!!"
Maybe we should have hit a Korean place for some mega hot Kimchee spiced
stuff. I tend to think Kimchee is Korean for "burn your tonsils off the
back of your throat" because it nearly accomplishes that. When you make
Korean instant noodles, beware of the stuff in one of the packets that's
all red, or more correctly blood red. That red color is a warning. Heed
it and go sparingly.

Whenever I get a cold, I test out the hot stuff I wouldn't ordinarily
touch at all. Red peppers have capzacin (sp), which is a form of a pain
reliever, similar to aspirin. If you're allergic to Aspirin and similar
stuff, avoid red peppers.

I didn't get to do all I wanted, but what we got to do was enough. I get
to follow through on a couple of promises at last. ^_^

No comments: