Friday, October 09, 2009

A RANT: The Big Screw by Satellite TV

OK so a while back, we used to have Dish Network. But because we moved
only 1 mile to the east, but still part of the same zip code, Dish
Network forced a change of "local" channels to Youngstown instead of
Cleveland stations we had been getting.

Only because we moved 1 mile to the east, on the edge of a neighboring
county, but still SAME ZIP CODE.

So we dumped Dish Network, and DirecTV promised us, yes we could still
get Cleveland stations through them.

Just this past week, and even today, I get notices that Oh Wow DirecTV
is going to be changing something about the locals we get. Well, if it
means getting the WRONG locals for our SAME ZIP CODE as before, then
there's going to be a problem.

This somehow involves an "upgrade." I don't see how this is an upgrade.
It's a downgrade. We're still in the SAME zip code.

For some stupid reason, they cite some 2004 law, claiming they're using
Neilsen research to determine local market stations based on ZIP CODE,
but it looks like they want to use where you actually LIVE in the ZIP
CODE.

What does this mean? I HATE TIME WARNER. This Forces My Hand - I'll Drop
Digital Satellite Altogether If we're being forced to take local
channels that isn't our market. My committment to DirecTV is pretty much
up. They're more expensive than Dish Network, but up until now, we had
the right market for our ZIP code, namely Cleveland. When Channel 3
shows the Browns pre-season games, we would end up missing them because
they're not shown anywhere else.

Why Do I Hate Cable? Continual Rate Increases Every Year. Kickbacks to
the local government to allow them to remain a monopoly. They pass on
"franchise" and "regulatory" fees instead of taking that as an expense
of doing business. CABLE IS EVIL. Time Warner Also Doesn't Have NFL
Network. They may have Big Ten, but they're being asses about the NFL
channel. Gee, digital satellite services have it at no extra cost!

Plus Satellite TV gets unfairly taxed.

So what do I do? Can I explain to these people I'm STILL IN THE SAME ZIP
CODE? Can I refuse this "upgrade"? Would I stop getting Cleveland locals
as a result and have to pay an unfair fee later?

Youngstown is not my market, and I should not be force to have to get
locals I do not want.

What took them so long to do this? Why now? Their Neilsen research data
is FLAWED.

What is the absolute cheapest cable TV service I can get without being
forced to use a cable box?

No comments: