I don't need to put up with treatment like this:
Subject: Re: Colossalcon Staff Review
"The
criteria for this decision is based off of several factors with the
first being your going into vendor's room and shopping on Thursday
night."
In
my defense, I was invited by one dealer who knew me well. I was of the
understanding that other staff members were also given preferential
treatment. I didn't feel comfortable in there, but nobody seemed to
think there was a big problem with it.
"You
were scheduled to work in the video department, yet you barely spent
any time in the video rooms, or really doing any sort of
video/programing work all weekend."
On
the contrary, I was there as needed, in fact more than others. But the
thing is while I was given duties to do, other people already did them
for me, which I was annoyed by. So if I was given things to do, why take
my duties away? I was to do set-up, but Tim and a few others were
doing
that instead. I don't know why they were doing what I was supposed to
be doing. When I tried to let them know they were all like no we got it.
Whatever.
"This is a repeat of a pattern of staffing behavior from the previous years you have worked at the convention,"
Apparently
you do not know what I had done for Colossalcon 2008, when I had nobody
else to f-ing help me the entire damn weekend. I ran all 3 video rooms
practically all by my goddamn self!! In fact, the room that showed
Gunbuster2 I had to sit in on, not just to change the DVDs, but to keep
an eye on the equipment. Adam himself even acknowledged that the
computers keep freezing up due to bad RAM. It was a nightmare that whole
weekend having to keep tabs on all the video rooms because of that and I
will say this again I HAD NO F-ING HELP. Everyone else that year took
off and did other things.
You
know what? I bet you spoke to one guy that came from Michigan, you know
with dark hair and glasses? He made some curry thing that year. He
doesn't like me.
"You did spend a lot of time cooking in OPs which in and of itself is a liability"
NOT
TO MENTION OTHER PEOPLE IN OPS COOKED AS WELL. So it must not have been
much of a liability, or did you send notes to them as well? This point
in invalid.
"but
you cooked with seafood, forcing several staff members to leave
operations and unable to perform their jobs because of their food
allergies."
I
cannot be blamed for not knowing who is allergic to what. This is not
my fault and I refuse to allow you to blame me for something I had no
prior knowledge of. It is not fair and you know it! Everyone there did
their best to make sure there wouldn't even be an odor left over. When
we
were all informed of this after the fact, we knew how well we had to
clean up the area and how soon it all had to end. I had a friend in
grade school who couldn't even attend on days the hot lunch was fish and
he was quite allergic.
This
is something I did out of the kindness of my heart, I paid for it all,
and I did not ask for anything in return. Nobody told me there would be
any problem with that. If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry you
feel that way. But it's unfair to go lump this all together and use it
against me in this way. It was not an unsanctioned panel either.
"Again, this shows a level of disrespect to fellow staffers,"
What
about the amount of disrespect I had to put up with? I wasn't sure I
felt like helping out this year because of 2008. I got really shit on
that year.
"This
decision is based off of feedback from the various department heads,
the convention chair and myself, the vice convention chair."
I'll
bet it's based off the opinion of 3 people, the way it sounds like to
me. A lot of those people don't even know what I did. A few people don't
like me, and I guess that's all it takes, doesn't it?
"That is an attendee, which you are more then welcome to be, and we hope you enjoy yourself as one."
I took my responsibilities at Colossalcon very seriously. I had nothing but the best intentions of the convention.
I
have to laugh at this whole thing. I got fired again. Just because
someone didn't like me. It sounds [like] much of this is personal issues
though.
comments:
Didn't you get a vibe that Chibi Jae had some kind of problem with you anyway?
I
say go ahead and go to CC, but don't staff, don't volunteer, don't do
any panels. Don't lift a finger to help. Just go as an attendee and to
hell with trying to help out if they don't like the way you do things
and won't communicate with you in order to help you understand what's
"OK" and what's "not OK".
Blogger Mrshoujo said...
Not
only Jae, but Tim, and one guy from Michigan. I have a shot of him on
tape so I can grab it and show people. Adam called me just now, and we
discussed the points and problems. I wouldn't mind it if I did panels.
There's at least 3 I can think of wanting to do. Much of this seems to
be to be a point of view. Certain people do it, it's "staff privilege"
but other people do it and they don't like them, then it's "abuse" and
"inappropriate." Doesn't that theme sound familiar?
11:16 PM
"Not only Jae, but Tim, and one guy from Michigan."
And
that one woman, the one who I think was in charge of the Masquerade a
couple of years. I got the vibe she wasn't too fond of you, either.
"Adam called me just now, and we discussed the points and problems."
I'm
curious about his take on the situation. Adam knows you a little better
than the others, and he outranks everyone except Donnell at the con,
IIRC.
"Certain
people do it, it's "staff privilege" but other people do it and they
don't like them, then it's "abuse" and "inappropriate." Doesn't that
theme sound familiar?"
IE: Let's get rid of the "creepy weird guy".
11:28 PM
Delete
Blogger Mrshoujo said...
The
lady in charge of the masquerade in past years doesn't like most people
in general. If they do their job, she's got no beef. I never dealt with
her at all. As far as Adam's take on things, you'd have to discuss it
with him next time you see it. He has to sort of back them up on this,
but his take was we had way too many people on staff, so if I didn't get
the hours I was supposed to, there isn't much to be done about it. I
didn't know who was in charge of setting up the video rooms anyway.
11:33 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment