Friday, November 20, 2009

Maybe I will go...

but I'm not ready to commit at this time. At least they could have impersonally lied to me and said they just had too many people and they're just asking people to take a break or something. Which isn't altogether a lie, but at least partially truthful. The personal attack wasn't necessary, and I felt the points made to me were weakly supportable.

Dealers, for all intents and purposes, rarely get to see staff members taking an actual interest in what they're selling. They go to several conventions, and each convention staff has different "unwritten" rules, but it seems it's up to each individual interpretation whether it's "privilege" or "abuse" depending on whether or not they like or hate someone and how far up the echelon they are. It's not like in Canada where dealers who can be from the U.S. actually do have to wait until actual operating hours of the dealer's room, because in that case they're employing Canadians and not touching any money in the transactions.

Most dealers realize that staff members, once a convention goes into full swing, will have practically no time to visit the dealer's room because they'll be so busy dealing with what events they have going. So any time a dealer sees staff taking an active interest in what they're selling, there's no way they're going to pass up what might end up being a guaranteed $100 in the pocket, cash money in hand.

I've been to Anime North enough times to be practically on a first name basis with many dealers. Anime Pavillion used to go there until it just became an annoyance just crossing the border. When you see the same dealers often enough and buy as much as I have, they remember you, know what you want, and if you've been reliable enough, they count on that sale that makes their weekend when they bring something you will be buying, something they hold back from the Great Unwashed to make sure you get your first choice.

Once again, being a person with Asperger's, I got "bit in the ass" because of people who don't understand why I am the person I am because they don't know me at all.

No comments: