Saturday, November 14, 2009

Noren

What is a Noren?

In Japan, this is a divided curtain hung to divide a room, cover a doorway. It's usually used outside restaurants to show they are open for business. In a Japanese home, though, a decorative noren is hung at the top of the doorway to the kitchen.

Why am I bringing this up? I'd like to get one or at least make one. I was able to find a shot of the one used in the Tendou house in Ranma 1/2, if I remember right it's about 7 minutes in during Episode 9, first season. Something like that. I can check to make sure.

Right now we use a clear shower curtain in the doorway so as to keep cold air from coming in here from the kitchen. I've even found an image of a Ranma 1/2 decorated noren, though I'm sure those are impossible to find if you want to buy it. I could play with the image I have and enlarge it...

Some noren are long, like down to the floor from the top of the doorway. Some are short. I prefer a short one. It's been something I've been wanting to figure out. First part was getting the word of what it was I wanted.

It's very easy to sew one though. Might end up making one or at least having someone who can use a sewing machine make it. I think I have the pattern I found. Wait, it was a webpage. I should be able to find it again.


Tomorrow will be one month since mom passed away. Damn, time passed too quickly.

No comments: