Monday, September 27, 2004

Oct 04 Previews


I see now ADV and Tokyopop have specially custom designed and annoying
listings pages in Previews. A few ads would be OK and keep the listings
in the regular pages, but these are confusing. I see ADV's pages and
wondered where the listings were then realized the ad pages are the
listings. They're not so important that they need to do this - obviously
they think they're more important than they are.


Two new titles by Tokyopop has obviously set off the "Annoyance" meter.
DearS manga - geez, how old is the first tankoubon I got? Anywho, I've
read it, I know what's going on, so I don't have to buy TP's first book
of this.

The other TP annoyance is the listing of Hyper Police manga. I have the
first 7 books of this, and along with the anime, I know what's going on.
I had some plans to translate this myself. It seems TP has a Dengeki
agreement and are raiding their catalog of titles. sheesh. Hyper Police
anime doesn't cover all the manga. I know of only 7 tankoubon and
they're larger than usual, but I think MEE-sensei is still doing the
manga series. Image Entertainment did the anime on DVD and dubbed VHS.
I've had the fansubs for a number of years. ^_^

I would rather see Tokyopop do a few titles well rather than create a
market glut of translated manga that suffers in quality. I know some
people get intimidated when they see too much product, and not knowing
what to buy, walk away.



I don't know why Bandai insists on the incorrect name for "tenshi no
shippo" as "Angel Tales" when it should be "Angel's Tail". Oy vay.


But the annoyance in this section this month is Pioneer's listing of
"Hanaukyou Maids" - I'm using the "tai" kanji of this title as a plural
indicator. Now, they've numbered it as 1, but then they have to add some
stupid name / title for V.1. Just put a number on it and don't think
anymore... Sheesh. A lot (all?) U.S. releases of multiple volume anime
anymore get a number and a name to forget. I'd rather the number be
alone. But that's minor... This first disk of Hanaukyou Maids is only 75
minutes (1 hr 15 m) for the usual Previews Price.

I have seen most of Hanaukyou Maids already. Studio Ironcat was handling
the manga, but cancelled orders for books 4 and 5 two months in a row,
with their first 3 books re-listed this month. I think Morishige is
still doing the series, slowly, but it's up to 7 books last time I saw
anything. It'd be nice if Ironcat could work something with Pioneer
(which is extremely doubtful but hey it's a good idea) - buy the manga,
get $10 off a DVD/ video (like the Dark Horse / Animeigo thing with Oh
My Goddess! years ago)...

Anywho, the anime consists of mainly 15 minute episodes, 15 in all.
Well, I know the first 12 are like that, so that's 3 hours of video
right there. At most this should be a 2 disc release, but even I have
been searching for the last 3 episodes. I love this series among my
short list of favorites. I will not be surprised if Pioneer / Geneon
manages more than 3 discs out of this. The artbox should be a special
order item - collect all the releases and send away for the free box
(after collecting the proof of purchase stickers). This would encourage
sales, I feel, instead of charging an extra $10 for it.

But me wonders if they'll get the new version of Hanaukyou Maids as
well. Ah.. which version will they release first off? The original is
more fun. Caveat Emptor! ^_^

No comments: