Monday, September 13, 2004

My Mako got mad


I guess I forgot about my Mako PDA a bit too long this past week (or so)
because last night as I began to think about it for some reason, I
suddenly remembered I hadn't charged it up, but I thought it should
still have some reasonable amount left. Not so last night, as I turned
it on and gave me an angry beep and then proceeded to show me it forgot
everything!!! Argh!!

So last night I went through all my disks (PEOPLE STILL USE FLOPPIES!)
and found a bunch that had stuff I wrote on them to indicate "this has
PDA files on it" and set them aside in a stack. I got the main software
pieces I had on there (Wallpaper manager, JB5 Utilities, sound file
player, MBM Viewer, Penguin, Atomic, RevoDraw, Sketch, but I still
couldn't get Paint to work...), some wallpapers and sound files I had on
there. I even had a backup of my Contacts, about 2 years old, but then I
don't add a lot to it anyway. Jotter stuff I already had pulled off, and
Agenda didn't really have a hell of a lot of stuff since the last time I
copied it off.

It's going to be a minor pain finding everything, but at least the
software I wanted is back on. It installs quickly like the sound and
picture data. My autographs are all backed up on floppies, too. It's my
translations that are going to take a while, as well as the
miscellaneous stuff. I'm going to try to get back on it the stuff I
didn't create on it. I have no idea when or if I backed up stuff I
created on it, other than the Contacts database and the Jotter info, and
Agenda.

This is the first time I ever had a problem with my Mako losing data. I
might end up installing the ActiveSync file for my Jornada, since it has
a 128MB flash card. Memory loss due to no power is not a problem. I've
been wanting to dress it up in a Chii-chan theme for some time now
anyway.

I'll likely be setting up a Mako backup directory starting with my next
Archive CDrom update. Just grab from the disc and stick on my PDA,
simple as that.

No comments: