Wednesday, September 15, 2004
How to make decent milk from dry
Most people hate milk that's been mixed up from dry. Mainly because it
doesn't taste quite right. I've discovered a way to actually mix dry
milk up with water and have it taste decent.
Start with filtered water. Anything else changes the taste.
Get it COLD. That means putting 2 quarts in a container and put it in
the frig. Get it cold, let it sit for a day or 2. Cold water makes the
difference. Get it cold before adding the dry milk.
The other probem with mixing up milk from dry is the ratio of dry milk
to water. The package often gives some sort of odd ratio, like 3 3/4
cups water to some amount of dry milk. For 2 quarts of water, I've been
using 2 and 1/2 cups dry milk. It's essential to get this mixed up
right, and shake it before each use. Eventually the dry milk will
dissolve into a solution and the result will taste like milk. Might be
just under 2% milk, the label claiming dry milk is non-fat. I'm not sure
how to change that, but what I've been doing has resulted in decent
enough to use milk for cereal at least. ^_^ It doesn't taste all that
bad to drink straight from the pitcher.
But getting it mixed is important, otherwise you get clumps of milk
crystals (?) left over that require more mixing. I might try a slightly
different approach to mixing the dry milk with water next time, like
adding 1/2 cup of the dry and mixing each time. ^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment