Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe

I thought I had lost this recipe and then refound it since it slipped
out of the drawer in the kitchen where I usually keep it. Tried to find
it on Parade Magazine's website, which was useless because it appeared
in USA Weekend in 2005!

1 tbsp salt
1 lb pasta, macaroni or other bite size variety
2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp butter
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
ground black pepper, adjusted based on how you like it
1 pound grated extra sharp cheddar cheese

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large pan (dutch oven for example).
Add salt and pasta. Cook until "al dente", based on package directions.
Drain, then pour onto a baking sheet to cool and to prevent sticking
while preparing the rest of the recipe.

Microwave to heat the evaporated milk and chicken broth in a 4 cup glass
"Pyrex" measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy but not boiling. Melt
butter in an empty pot (pasta or other big pot) over Medium heat, whisk
in flour, then whisk in hot milk mixture. Continue to heat pot and whisk
until thick and bubbly. (Very important!)

This part may take awhile, so it's OK to raise the heat to get this to
happen, but lower it immediately when it begins to thicken really well
because you don't want it to boil.

Whisk in mustard (don't omit any ingredients for this!), parmesan and
pepper. Turn off heat and stir in the cheddar until melted.

In fact, it may not really "do its thing" until you put in the parmesan.

Add the drained pasta to sauce, and stir until everything is well
combined over low heat. Stir to heat through.

The recipe says to add water if the sauce is "too thick" but for my
tastes, it's never too thick. Prepare and then put it in the fridge
overnight - it's even better cold.

There were 5 "flavoring" options included, such as Ham, Peas, and
Shallots; Chicken and Broccoli; Ground Beef and Salsa, Bacon and Onions;
and Sausage and Peppers. I haven't tried any of those yet, but if
bothered enough, I could come back to this and edit those in. Or I can
leave it to your imagination for you to figure them out on your own.

Cost effective tip: All these ingredients can be had for the basic
recipe at Aldi's, and really turn into something special.

Actually, I'll come back to this and add the flavoring options. I'm
tired at the moment.

No comments: