Friday, April 10, 2009

Awesome friends, dual channel memory

I think I've got some of the most awesome friends anyone could have. And
I'm not saying that because I'm a kiss-up and I know they read my blog.

Two of my awesome friends bestowed upon me a prepaid and activated
Tracfone. I think they're good for gifts during the holidays and such
for a few years. ^_^

Totally floored me. I don't know how it will go after the first year is
up, if I got time left on the thing or not. I never bothered to buy one
because I found them to be too expensive (with the contracts some
companies want you to sign and agree to be their slave Imean customer
for some ungodly length of time during which you cannot cancel or else
pay huge cancellation fee$) or just a bucket with a slow leak that you
need to keep refilling.

Last time we had one, it was Mom's, and after difficulties in redeeming
one card after which the phone was locked (aka 'bricked'), we just gave
up trying to use one.

It has 1 Meg for onboard storage, not expandable. So I can send it a few
smallish pics for use possibly as a wallpaper, small animated GIFs for a
screensaver, small MIDIs as various ringtones and sounds, even small
short MP3s as ringtones. I'm going to root through my MIDI collection
for the best anime tunes I got, and some of the small pics for
wallpapers. It's important to optimize things since I got what amounts
to one high density 3.5 inch floppy for storage, some of which I think
it used for received data messages, sent ones as well.

I might have to use Audacity to set the bit rate kinda low for the MP3
clips, and try to get something around 100K or less. Might not be too
many of those. I wish it had 1G or a way to expand the flash RAM.

And something completely different:

The dual channel memory for one lady's system arrived today. It
installed easily and worked when I fired it up. I'm going to do a "burn
in" RAM test as soon as I can with the Ultimate Boot CD. This was a
Kingston 1Gig x 2 kit. I'll make sure she gets her original 512MB stick
back and tell her to keep it handy - you never know if RAM will ever
fail, but according to the instructor for my CompTIA classes, Kingston
is supposed to be one of the better brands for computer memory.

Now that her hardware inside the 'puter is up to speed (the DVD burner
went in a few weeks ago), all she needs to do is get some items that
plug onto it (like an external USB hard drive for backup), and get the
downloadable stuff downloaded and installed, screw the lid on tight to
secure and protect her system, and it'll be good to go.

I will leave a note telling the next user in no uncertain terms are they
to stick crap like Spy Sweeper on there. I've seen systems become a
bloody mess when they install crap like that and it doesn't work.


About to watch Strawberry Marshmallow after reading Book 2 of the manga
from Tokyopop. Nice 99 cent buy from Book Closeouts.

No comments: