Sunday, April 12, 2009

MIDI files and da phone, dual channel 'puter!

I found the MIDI files I remember having... in ZIPs on the Win95 laptop.
I found it annoying that I hadn't put those on my Archive CD. I'll have
to do something about that.

At any rate, I managed to massage the ZIPs into smaller chunks to fit
through Yahoo! Email. For some reason, and I don't if it's just our
'puter or what, we can't download attachments from Yahoo! Mail larger
than 500K decoded. They can be over 500K encoded, but not after. Larger
than 500K and you might as well put them on Megaupload or something and
I'll grab it that way.

Then I had problems emailing the files. I hadn't used the laptop in a
long time... And was using the newsreader to send email, instead of the
email program. While the newsreader _can_ send email, I never set it up
to do that. At least not yet. But anywho, they got sent out and arrived
at Yahoo! mail intact. 4 ZIPs of all those Anime MIDI files are now on a
thumbdrive. 2 of various anime, 2 of Sailor Moon MIDIs. A lot of these
are likely from websites that no longer exist, and if they do, the files
might be missing.

And I have the Red Dwarf theme, too. ^_^

I managed to send only 5 so far of the ones I chose to be the best of
the collection. I still have more to decide on. They sound pretty good
on the phone.

Things I noticed: It will deduct airtime even for a message it decides
it won't or can't download. I deserve that time back, dammit! I had to
resend one file, and another downloaded after a 2nd try while checking
for signal strength. They download S_L_O_Wly.


I tested a lot of the MIDIs by playing them on the puter I'm working on
for one lady. Man, that thing flies with the 1G dual channel RAM in
there. The XP logo loading screen doesn't stay up long, and almost as
soon as you see the desktop, it's done loading it! Might change a little
when I finally put in the anti-virus stuff and security software. But
programs like Audacity pop up almost instantly. And it shuts down fast,
too. It's like Murdoch's answer to "how soon can you get us down?" "You
just land it, brother."

It's pretty easy to find out if your computer can run dual channel
memory. Look for pairs of same-colored memory card slots. Read the
article on Wikipedia which explains dual channel RAM in better detail
than I will provide here.

The kit I had the lady get was $15 before shipping, and she had 512MB
single channel before the upgrade. I chose the 1Gx2 as the best value.
Any more and it's just overkill. It's not like it's water-cooled quad
core or anything. At any rate, I'm done with putting things in it. ^_^

No comments: