Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I figured out how to grab streaming media...

With the use of SDP Multimedia's streaming media downloading software, which is free, and Mozilla Firefox, also free, I finally was able to grab digital audio samples of stuff from Japanese web pages for anime CDs that have samples to listen to.

I focused mainly on Tokyo Mew Mew CDs because I seriously want the actual CD. Two tracks for Mew Pudding have a Chinese flavor, and it's those I really wanted. The audio samples are about 45 seconds in length, unless of course the actual track is just under that length... ^_^ The Windows Media Player clips are much clearer and better quality than the comparable and muddy audio of RealPlayer. I guess it's not Memorex either.

Basically... Load up SDP's software and launch Firefox (provided you are already online). Launch a 2nd window of Firefox because you will need it.

Go to CD Japan's website (just as an example - this could work for others that offer streaming clips of anything). Find the listing in English of the CD you are interested in. If it shows that samples are available, launch that page link in another tab. Close the originating tab.

Find the WMP streaming link for the clip you want to hear and left click on it. A smaller window will now open and load from some website. Pay attention to the URL that Firefox says it's loading that window from. You will need that as your Main website URL in the 2nd window. Write it down, and then type it in the 2nd window, but don't click Go yet.

Go back to the player window that opened. When the player window is loaded and likely the clip playing already, hit Stop on the play bar. Move your mouse pointer to the bottom, just above the bottom border for the window. If you right click here, you will eventually get to the pop up menu for Showing that page or frame's source. Open it. You want to see the source HTML for the player window. For the player I had to deal with here, the 2nd line actually linked to the media bar and played the clip. Highlight this line. The first one loaded the album image, the 2nd is the line you want. It's easy enough to figure out. Do Not include the quotes!

Copy the line that basically has the URL info you need, and go into your 2nd browser window. Paste the text there after the main site URL that you should have observed Firefox loading from, and Go.

You should get a slightly funky page, but the streaming media bar will be there, and loading the media. Stop the playback, and right click to look at the source for the page. This is where you should find the MMS link to the WMA media you are trying to save! When you find it, highlight and Copy. Bring up SDP's thingy, and Open, Right click to Paste and OK. Then Go and it will bring up a Save box, then grab your media. Presto. Always look for MMS links for media, and SDP can grab it.

Some of the Tokyo Mew Mew clips I saved were less than 45 seconds long, and the rest were about 45 seconds. Sometimes that's enough, but I still want those CDs!!

No comments: