At any rate, I showed up early. I had my papers in hand. It wasn't until after 20 minutes after the hour that they finally called us in. I was reminded to take off my hat (oops, sorry). But in general, it went as I was told. The case was uncontested - so the judge did accept my power of attorney. Since the defendant did not appear, it was defaulted to me. Otherwise, had she appeared, he explained it might not have been useful in the case of advocacy or whatnot. He looked at the complaint, and issued the Writ of Restitution, which basically said our former tenant no longer had any right to the apartment effective immediately. I asked about the property she had left in there, and the judge said I have every right to determine what to do with it. Consider it abandoned, have the sheriff remove it, etc. Well, since she stole the refrigerator, might as well keep the thing she left. I'd like to sell it to get another used fridge in there.
The place is generally clean except for slight damage in a couple of spots, but the major holes she had her brother fix and generally he did a good job. I'd still like to remove the paint over the graffiti she wrote in the bedroom.
The locks have been changed, the windows have been locked and secured. The front door latch is damaged but in general it can be secured. The electric is off!! So the next potential tenant will have to apply and get the service turned into their name.
We won the First Cause, to basically tell her she's out of there immediately. Not 30 days, not weeks. NOW.
I'll let the landlord decide if we need to push for a 2nd cause for money and damages. We may need a lawyer for that as my power of attorney may not be enough. It was enough in a no-contest hearing, but it may not be enough if she shows up at the 2nd Cause, which she just might. We will need the judgement against her for what she owes and that she must pay it.
What's all funny is that in the short time it took the judge to hear the case, I was back out and saw that our former tenant had the nerve to show up and with her baby!! She was too late!! The lady at the clerk of courts explained to her that the judgement will stand effective immediately. I didn't have to pay to have the Writ served on her. ^_^ Then as I was leaving, I noticed a certain car in the court parking lot that I've seen before. The guy driving it had tatoos on his arm - markings I had seen before. As it turns out, and I'm just saying, he's been driving a green truck that been pulling over at the house across the road from us where work has been going on fixing the place up. Now that this whole episode is over, I can concentrate on other things...
The air conditioner she and her boyfriend removed along with the chair was put back in the apartment. ^_^ We're planning on putting a different table in there as well.
It is now public record that an Eviction notice or forcible entry and detention complaint was filed against Morgan Delane / Haught in Columbiana County Municipal Court in Ohio. A Writ of Restitution was also filed against her in the process of the First Cause. She owes over $1,600. Renters: Do not rent to this person!
No comments:
Post a Comment