eyes. I remember her having to put eye drops in one eye that they were
going to operate on, but they told her the wrong eye. So instead of the
eye she was putting drops in, they operated on the other. She described
it as looking through a yellow mist.
She was waiting for the availability of that year's flu shots. The H1N1
flu was going around. She didn't want to catch it. She usually got her
flu shot as soon as she could every year.
She was telling the people at the hospital that they were Awesome and
afterwards telling her friends how the staff put her at ease. The doctor
told a few jokes. There was a delay in the actual procedure because they
had to put the drops in the eye they were going to work on and gave the
stuff a chance to do what they were supposed to do.
I wish I could remember the stuff she said about the whole experience.
She was so worried about it all, but it ended up changing her life.
After things healed enough, she found she could see without glasses for
the first time in over 40 years. She said it takes getting used to
trying to take off her glasses to see up close and she's not wearing
glasses. I even shopped for her to buy some reading glasses since the
replacement lens fixed her vision but only up to a point. The doctor
said she would need something for the up-close stuff.
I'll have to ask my younger sister to see if she remembers more about
what mom told her about that first cataract operation.
This next month is going to be hard to get through. I see the stuff
around me that got left behind and I cry. My mom should be here and
she's not and it's not fair. I keep telling myself that she's just in
the hospital and I keep wondering when she's coming home.
I was hoping the pain would go away, but it hasn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment