Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Report on Loose Socks v.0.1

I have been going through my saved Email messages on the terminal and
found this gem which I am posting to my blog.

------

This is a short essay on Loose Socks, the socks in fashion with Japanese
school girls. This is before I do any translation on actual quotes of
loose-sock-wearing girls from one magazine article I have.

According to my source, they are available in at least 3 different
sizes:

Normal length - not sure on the length, but it's about 609 yen

Long length - about 60 cm, 735 yen

Super Long length - about 90 cm, 1575 yen

The Normal length is called "Cute Style" made by Chu Chu Anna in Japan.
The care instructions warn "Do Not Bleach" though with these being white
socks, it's a wonder to me why not.

The Long Length is made by "St. Bearding House". The socks are a Cotton,
Acrylic, Nylon, Polyurethane blend. This pair is a King Original made in
Japan.

The Super Long Length (also known as Too Long Length) are 90 cm, and are
the most commonly seen style. These wonderfully long socks go right up
the shin, and can practically go up over the knee. These are the right
pair for the proper baggy or "loose sock" look. This pair is called
"It's Art" and is officially labelled as "Loose Socks" by Elegan Co,
Ltd. Yokohama, Japan. One sticker even boasts "Best Quality / Good
Feeling Loose Socks". I'm not going to argue that!

Instructions with these socks include how to wash, what not to wash them
with, and how to keep them up. The fact that these 3 pairs of loose
socks do not have elastic is also indicated in some way.

How To Keep Them Up -

Wearing shoes plays an important part in keeping these socks up, as does
some kind of Sock Stickem. 3M could make something for these and make a
mint.

I actually asked a Japanese school girl in Japan how to keep these socks
up and she tells me:

"In order to keep loose socks up, we use a kind of glue called "Sock
Touch"."

She drew a series of pictures. Get a small ball (or dab) from the
container, pull up your socks to the height you desire, then roll them
down a bit. Smear the little ball of stickem around your leg where you
intend to keep the socks up at, and then roll up the edge of the sock -
"Stuck!"

Without any translation of the article I've seen, it seems school girls
who wear the long loose socks take pride in the fact they can get theirs
to look perfect. Until I actually do some research on their answers,
this is all I can report.

-end of paste-

No comments: