Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Why I don't try DDR in public

Tonight I found out how badly I play DDR on the PS2. Let me clarify. I
suck on it standing up.

Back on Black Friday, Big Lots was offering this DDR set for the PS2.
Thing is the only Big Lots I stumbled into that day (and completed my
set of Shuffle!) didn't have any left. A couple of weeks ago, another
Big Lots I was in had some in stock somehow. So I bought one. "Over 70
songs!" Yeah right. I'm disappointed in that Butterfly, Mr. Wonderful,
and one other favorite isn't on the edition I bought.

I figure the "dance mat" controller is too small or my feet are too big
or some combination of that plus the mat still having folds in it from
being in the box makes for a situation where I don't know where the down
arrow spot should be and I miss it and otherwise inputs the wrong
signals because it's being triggered wrong and at wrong times. I don't
know how solid the floor is here, so I'm afraid to have to jump up to
make the 2-footed moves. I need lots of practice or I just don't have
the coordination.

I do know the mat works just fine. I basically had to sit down with the
down arrow inches from my crotch, legs wide (and uncomfortable for my
knees to be in this position for long), and look up at the screen to hit
the spots with my hands. I did pretty well that way.

I figure there's some PS2 controller or compatible at least that will
let me press 2 directional buttons at the same time. I wouldn't mind a
smaller hand held version of the "dance mat" controller for those of us
too timid to make a fool of ourselves playing DDR.

There's a Workout mode as well. I had plenty of a workout just on
Beginner mode sitting down!

It's a shame the Pop 'n Music games haven't yet been brought over. I
love those.

No comments: