80Gig Seagate Barracuda. Brand new. After I figured out once again how
to get the case open, the next step was getting the HD out.
It was mounted in a bracket that attached to the case by one screw in
front of the drive on the inside and one on the outside. I can't explain
well with just words, but once I had those 2 important screws out, the
HD came out in the bracket really easy. Then I see a buncha dust.
It might not have killed the drive, but that much dust behind the front
plastic face isn't good, but it at least shows where the dust has gone
since there's not a whole lot inside the case.
I also don't like how the HD is mounted. It's inside the front, standing
up on end. I like my drives horizontal. I don't think I'll be able to
remount the Seagate this way, since the Western Digital blocked a lot of
dust coming into the case when it was vertical.
Also the drive is set to Cable Select, and the way it's in there, the HD
ribbon cable is currently set up for only 1 hard drive. No provision
made for a 2nd without getting another bracket and a new cable. I find
it odd that it wasn't set to Master.
I managed to pop off the front of the case and saw a crapload of dust.
It's never been popped off and vacuumed out before. At least there was
some air flow in spite of this.
So my plan of attack is to vacuum the dust and then install the Seagate.
I might have time tomorrow to work on reinstalling Windows XP. I don't
know if I should partition the drive like I did for one lady.
I would imagine that if I ever wanted to work on Mom's Dell again, it
would mean a 2nd hard drive and / or a 2nd monitor card, or maybe a new
CD Burner. I dunno. I don't see a second AGP in there, but maybe there
are PCI monitor cards? I haven't looked.
No comments:
Post a Comment