Monday, August 03, 2009

Negi is safely back home

I had been annoyed by Negi's behavior all day since he went into the
over grown field across the railroad tracks after last night. And in
spite of my pleas to come home, he just refused to have anything to do
with me.

At least until tonight. During an episode of Anthony Bourdain, after I
finally finished cooking supper, I decided to try luring him out of the
field and back over here with a can of catfood I bought earlier today.
Negi decided to appear at the edge of the field, somewhat interested in
possibly coming closer, but threatening to disappear into the over
growth if I got "too close" for some odd reason. Even though this is the
cat in our household who visits me on the toilet in the bathroom in the
morning and insists on me grooming him with the comb I got for him to
reduce his shedding elsewhere in the house.

So, exasperated that he was doing that, I decided to just leave the open
can of food on the stairs on the back porch, and went inside.

A few minutes later, I decide to go check on things and there he is.
Negi has decided he's hungry and is eating the food. Though after trying
to creep up on him to possibly grab him (he ran back under the damn
porch again when I did), I noticed he hadn't eaten a whole lot. He just
got there before I checked on things.

But this time, it was different. I came prepared with his shedding comb
in hand, because I know he loves this. So I sit there on the steps, call
to him, and make noises with the spring mechanism on the comb.

It takes a while, but he comes out. Negi decides he wants to be groomed.
^_^ After getting him relaxed, I get him close enough and I'm able to
get a hand under him and he doesn't struggle to get away. I grab the can
of food and we go inside.

Some time not much after that, Negi resumes occupying his roost on the
couch and tries to fall asleep.

And just to show this temporary jaunt outside hasn't changed things, I
heard the cats have a "discussion" while I was typing this. So, no,
Marmalade and Negi still aren't the best of friends.

No comments: