Thursday, July 23, 2009

She's got some nerve...

So last night, while mom was on the throne, my older sister had some
nerve to come to me and question me about the whereabouts of some things
she was looking for.

This included things like the large woodworking clamps she had used
while making things like the cabinets we used to have in the house back
in town, some big mirror, as well as stuff we left at my grandparents'
house. Like how dare we left anything _so_ important like _her_ stuff.

I told her I hadn't seen any of those wood clamps since we moved out of
town, and some of that other stuff not since we left my grandparents'
house. I'm not sure what all we moved and what got left behind. I kind
of regret leaving anything whatever it was. I thought my brother in law
at least moved stuff out of the basement of the house in town, but I
don't know what. Lumber got left, I think. One table that we used to
have since living in East Rochester got left. Then there was stuff we
left at my grandparents' house like the exercise bike, the treadmill,
the bike that Candice bought off eBay for mom to use which she never did
by that point. Who knows what else got left? She mentioned the ladders
my grandfather had. I kinda regret leaving the snow blower.

Anywho, at some point during this accusation crap, mom came out of the
bathroom and was able to back me up on that. What got left and where,
when, why. My older sister still seemed somewhat annoyed by what got
left behind and all, but she's got no reason to shove that in our face.

It was a pretty traumatic time each time we had to move, twice in 2
years. I hated every moment of having to pack up and move things. If
there was stuff she wanted to make sure we kept, she should have said
something. Mom said it was a matter of not having the room for
everything, my sister blasted back that we had Apt. B for things! Oh but
then we couldn't have RENTED the damn thing out not once but twice to
deadbeats! Wasn't that her plan all along - fix up the place and then
make money renting out the other 2 apartments?

Then there was the stuff she TOOK FROM US. Like the desk we had like
forever, mom having stripped the pink paint off and refinished it when
we lived in the apartment above the hardware store, when we were all in
grade school. She made us get rid of the dining room bureau (whatever it
was) but I kept the dining room table, both items one of mom's friends
gave us at the time we moved in town in 1978, when she remodelled the
downstairs of the house during 7 long months in 1995. However, after we
moved out to my grandparents' house after mom lost the house in town to
foreclosure (imho after also stupidly getting a loan to pay off bills
she ran up again, a 2nd mortgage on a house she had paid off), my older
sister "got rid" of that big table without asking anyone! And yes, I'm
harping on a dead issue, but there's those suitcases and the 5 trays of
slides I wanted to convert to digital images.

Stuff from my grandparents' home that she got rid of without asking
anyone, like their nice radio. It had an excellent tape deck, Dolby
noise elimination and metal tape recording features. It was sweet. I
would have liked it. It would have made converting tapes to digital so
much easier, but it's gone...

My grandfather's extra TV sets - I don't know who got them. He had
replaced his old floor model with a Toshiba big screen, and I got that.
You better believe it. But there was one in the kitchen and one
downstairs. They had their old radio / record player thingy (huge thing
it was) in the basement, and that's gone. She sold off their upright
freezer and their old 1950s model refrigerator (my grandfather used it
for his beer and things). And all those tools - well, I think my
bro-in-law got some of that, but nobody asked me if I was interested in
any of it. I might have been!

And the "davenport" in the downstairs room. Big green thing. Where did
it go?

Maybe it's divine justice that she lost some things as well during all
that confusion. She sold the house out from under us, but the property
taxes were making us poor.

And then she wants to put this house in my name. I don't know about
that.

No comments: