Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Grr...

Well, I see my picture post from Rogers didn't arrive, so I will try to
send it again.

Other news, my older sister is planning to be up in the area at the end
of the week. Her plans are overly ambitious. First, seal off the roof
over the kitchen so that it doesn't leak anymore, properly this time.
OK. Sounds good.

THEN she wants to rip down the entire kitchen ceiling and put up sheet
rock in its place. And hopes to have it done in about 1 week.

Not going to happen. First off, she expected me to begin _Ripping down_
the existing ceiling. Now.. Part of the ceiling is just fine. Nice and
solid. Doesn't need any ripping down. The part that did get ripped down
already has shown a variably existent structure for the support of the
previous plaster and lathe ceiling that rotted out and fell off and at
some point was removed.

Let me say this: I cannot do some of the things I used to do a year or 2
ago. I haven't been up in the attic for any reason, and I barely managed
to clean the gutters on the front of the house. I had a hard time
getting back in off the front porch roof.

LEST I REMIND PEOPLE - I cleaned up all the ROOFING SHINGLES that were
unceremoniously ripped off during that whole debacle 2 years ago. I
CLEANED THAT UNGODLY MESS BY MYSELF. As well as picking up over 360
nails using a metal detector to find them.

I may have ripped out carpet in the kitchen and bathroom, but I will NOT
rip down perfectly good parts of the ceiling and then be expected to
clean it up. This is a major and unreasonable disruption.

Oh and get this.. I emailed her about the leaking bathtub faucet and the
cracks (and hole) in the bathtub. All I really wanted is some decent
seal treatment for the tub but mainly I wanted the faucet replaced. Mom
and I can't seem to decide how to go about this or how to pay for parts
and labor.

My sister wants to rip out the tub and replace it with just a shower
stall. Not Going To Work. Mom uses a transfer bench. There will not be
enough room in a shower stall for her to sit on that bench and she's
unable to stand when she gets her shower. But then my sister also
proposes that we go into Apt. B to use the tub and shower there. Problem
with that is the water heater isn't working right. The pressure
discharge thingy just runs the water back out. I don't know how to get
it to stop doing that. Then she considers switching Apt. C's water to
Apt. B's hot water lines. Which requires a plumber. and a lot of work.

It's easier and to just seal up the tub or find some cheap replacement
and replace the faucet.

Sheesh. Hell for the next week. and I can't leave because I need to
protect my stuff from her.

No comments: