Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ePSXe - free Playstation Emulator

I'm going to recommend this for people who like to play their original
Playstation games on not a PS2 but their Windows PC. When you manage to
gather together the pieces you need, it runs rather well, amazingly.
There are specific plugins for various graphics cards, but for ours I
had to use one of the generic plugins. I finally got the right audio
plug in and the Cardcaptor Sakura Tetris game I got some years ago
finally works on something we have. If you wanted to run this on a
regular PSX not from Japan, you needed a chip or other modification,
which I do not yet have. (We have 2 PSXs around here, the 2nd needs a
new spindle motor... Hmm...) Kagero Deception 2 doesn't work right on
our actual PSX but is playable (with the right controller) on the
emulator. I use ePSXe with the GUI front end.

Today in the mail I got my imported Sabre Marionette J Battle Sabers
Playstation game from Japan - and not just the game, but the limited
edition with all the goodies! There's the 3 mini figures to slip onto
the controller cord and the collection of 20 pieces of original art made
for this game. It's an actual pressed copy, people!

That makes me wonder - why don't video games based on anime that comes
out here get brought over and translated? Very few games arrive (DBZ),
but then there's the tons that don't. Magic Knight Rayearth, Ranma 1/2
(we got one but not the really good one), Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyou...
Of course, lots of these games are for older systems, so I can see why
some of these things don't get licensed. At the time these anime were
big in Japan, systems like the Famicom, Super Famicom, and Sega systems
as well as other unusual names like PC Engine and the like, were popular
in Japan. At the same time, we'd have our version of the Super Famicom
and Sega's systems, and not to forget Atari's 64-bit Jaguar... (Why was
Tramiel so down on the Japanese? They could have made killer games for
it, but no, he looked towards Europe, where Atari was big, like in
Germany, but I digress)

Years later here, we'd have Playstation, Nintendo's later systems
(though their Wii should be able to play all these games if someone
would ever take the time to figure it out), and Xbox. Some systems we'd
never see (What was the Japanese equivalent of Turbo Grafx?). The game
we'd want to play are for unsupported systems, and nobody's going to
bother with unsupported systems. We have to go the import route.

Still, there's a lot of Playstation games that Could have come out here
while the licensed anime and manga were initially being produced. Sabre
Marionette J is one of them.

But man, Dreamcast games on Gigabit disks. You need a Dreamcast and
other hardware to copy these things, and a lot a fiddling with them that
the average person will never bother with. I wouldn't even bother
because that'd mean having to buy hardware I don't really care about.
Sony was smart with their game CDs. Heh.

Tip: to play an import Super Famicom game on your SNES, get needle nosed
pliers and break off the tabs in your cartridge slot carefully. That's
about all there is to Region Coding that Nintendo did with that system.
Do Sega games have region coding? I know PSX games do, but there's ways
to work with that. Original Gameboy games don't!! I should look into
import anime-based Gameboy games and put them in my Super Gameboy
accessory for the SNES. Did this come out in Japan?

I wonder how Japanese fans of Mach Go Go Go are feeling about the Speed
Racer movie coming out here.

No comments: