Academy) where Abe-sensei tries to compliment one lady on her
dango-style hairdo. He says it suits her, and she takes it as a
compliment, complaining that the kids make fun of her hair comparing it
to "that song." A brief image of "that song" even gets shown in place of
her hairdo with one part missing.
"That song" by the way is Dango San Kyoudai, otherwise known as The 3
Dango Brothers. I have a scan of the CD single, as well as a translation
here:
http://community.webtv.net/MrShoujo/Dango3Kyoudai
How did I know this? A Japanese penpal I briefly corresponded with
around the time "Dango 3 (san) Kyoudai" was hugely popular in Japan
(around 1999 if I remember right) told me about it. She heard it
everywhere and frequently. It was a popular song from a children's TV
show, and like everything in Japan that becomes popular (like a song),
it was covered many times over. I bought my copy, a CD single of the
original version, from CD Japan. There was a CD album of various
versions by different artists.
I think I saw another cultural reference in another episode of Occult
Academy, but I can't seem to remember it now. Oh well.
The other bit I was posting about was I translated another song from
Sailor Moon for a friend for an upcoming wedding. I got to realizing
that I hadn't transferred all my translation work off my Atari 8-bit
disks to 3.5 inch floppies using a friend's Atari 1040ST and null modem
setup. There was a song by Chibi-Usa that I worked on that I called
'Don't make fun of my dream' that I'm missing from my translation
archives. I worked on a good number of other Sailor Moon songs, and
perhaps a few Ranma 1/2 songs. My translation for a Sailor Mars image
song definitely made the rounds on the net.
I don't remember what all I worked on as far as song lyrics - I do
remember working on songs from a Sailor Moon musical. My bigger projects
all got transferred before we had to move in 2003, but sadly it seems a
bunch of my Sailor Moon (and other) lyric translations didn't make it
over. I'm really hoping they did and I just hadn't gotten to the
floppies yet (which I thought I had when making my Archive CD) - if
they're still readable. I have them all stashed away securely - it's
just a matter of finding time to go through and find a drive to read
them, which I definitely have.
I JUST REMEMBERED THE OTHER BIT:
There was an Urusei Yatsura reference in one part where they try calling "Space People" by doing the famous chant.
No comments:
Post a Comment