kitchen as far as getting the walls scrubbed so they can be painted.
She sits down and talks about some stuff with my mother. I'm nearby
trying to do one of the daily crosswords in the paper. Heck, I'm in the
same room.
Then she gets to talking about some "meal swap" thing they do (I guess
in relation to the church they go to) and complaints about other people
in this thing complaining about the quality of the meals each other
gets, and add to the fact that they'll be getting some deer meat in the
next month or so (and some of the people in this swap thing claim they
don't like it), they'll have to take a break from it. That and the
presence of MSG in stuff that the other people make, even though she's
been telling people that if they swap dinners with her family not to use
things with a whole lot of MSG in it.
My sister, for some reason, is on a big Anti-MSG kick. She says there
was some book my father brought to their house that she read about all
the things that MSG causes. But I've been on Snopes, and as I remember
reading, MSG doesn't do all the things people claim. My father is nuts
and will find anything to support his claims of anything, whether or not
it actually has properly researched scientific proof behind it. I don't
know what book it was. I don't particularly care, either.
Glutamates are in lots of food. Milk for one. Soy products. The
Monosodium form comes from Yeast processing. It occurs naturally
otherwise.
And of course I'm ready to point out the bufoonery of that belief that
it causes fatigue, depression, etc. Just like artificial sweetners can't
be causing so many unrelated conditions, the same is for MSG.
She comes back with the "Asperger's excuse" like my older sister did,
and of course that puts me on the defensive and I get annoyed and angry.
I fight back with "Don't invalidate me with that excuse" and it doesn't
go well. So rather than talk it out or something (the computer
downstairs was on, someone could just as easily gotten on it and loaded
Snopes to settle the discussion), my younger sister gets mad and leaves.
So while she's out, and before she gets back home, I call her up and
leave a message. I tell her she owes Mom an apology. And I deserve one,
too. For her and my older sister to use Aspergers as an excuse to
invalidate me as a person, and my opinion as well, I deserve better
treatment, and that it's not fair. It's not fair.
I get better treatment from my friends and the BVR people than I do from
my own family! heck, even the counselors I've seen!
She called a while ago before I completed writing this posting,
apparently she and my mother spoke for a while, maybe things are going
resolve themselves. I don't know. At least one person here might have
gotten an apology.
No comments:
Post a Comment