Tuesday, September 22, 2009

More Big Lots Goodness, "Otaku Encyclopedia", Blue BGC VHS

After Passing the CompTIA IT Tech Exam (and earning CompTIA A+
Certification), I celebrated with... shopping for Anime!

Wow, my local Best Buy finally stocked the Lucky Star OVA. Surprising to
say that I had bought School Rumble #3 last Monday after passing the
first part of the CompTIA exam and actually filled out the questionnaire
online and complained that the store I shopped at is lacking in the
anime DVD dept, and hadn't stocked that particular DVD yet, and then
next Monday (today), lo and behold, 2 copies of it on the shelf.

Then I stopped at Big Lots. At first, I was going to get the Sam Kinison
DVD set, but noticed... What??? There's some Anime DVDs I hadn't seen
here before!

School Rumble "Extra Class" OVA

Negima! 501 (Viridian ed.)

Shuffle! V.2

Tsubasa V.7

xxxHolic V.4

and Ragnarok V.2 because it gets mentioned on 4chan from time to time.

These shipments come in on Wednesdays, as the cashier told me while
ringing up my purchase.

There were some others, but these got my vote.


Out recently is a book called "The Otaku Encyclopedia." It's chock full
of goodness, though your mileage will vary. A few nitpicks include the
misspelling of long O sounds, like in Shouko Nakagawa's name.


And finally... I found 5 Original Release Animeigo Subtitled VHS tapes
of Bubblegum Crisis 4,5,7,&8 and Crash V.2 at a local flea market a few
days ago. I just need 1,2,3, and 6 to finish the set (and maybe Crash
V.1). These have different artwork than releases we're used to seeing.
I'm thinking ultra 1st Editions here, clamshells and all. The previous
owner tossed the liner notes. (I think they have them on their website
anyway.) I prefer their VHS editions to the DVDs because of the control
they had over subtitle placement. These tapes may be 18 years old, but
they play just fine. Blue cassette shells (except for #7). A buck each -
and I'm not leaving these babies sit for the next person! Not a classic
like Bubblegum Crisis.

No comments: