Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sometimes you have to yell at the neighbor's dog

We have these redneck neighbors - well, that's the best way to describe
them in regard to how they 'watch' their dogs - that have these Boxers,
rather decent sized dogs. They have more than a few.

Well, anywho, they have this one male dog. They generally do not tie up
their dogs, so when they get let out, they'll run around, into the road,
across the street, into garbage, poop outside of their yard (on ours,
from time to time). This attitude caused one of their females to get hit
by a train and got injured.

Anywho, around 11:30 last night or so, the male gets let out. He
proceeds to bark incessantly. I'm upstairs getting ready to go to bed.
Mom's downstairs trying to read before she falls asleep. Their dog, when
around front of the house next door, will bark and bark. He runs around,
out in the street, across into the yards, etc. You get the picture. He's
not tied up. While they don't consider him to be any threat, he's a
nuisance nonetheless.

He also barks quite loudly.

I go out there, stand near a front corner of the house. I stand there,
stare at him, and make these really sharp, splitting hand clap noises
that gets most animals' attention. I have to make three of these
threatening clap noises before the dog takes off around the side of the
house away from us. As long as he is there, his barking doesn't bother
us. Problem is, the stupid dog won't stay there, and soon he's back
around front barking again.

He barks at cars, but what I noticed is he's barking at the red lights
visible on the cell phone tower nearby, which are also visible from his
point of view in front of the house next door.

I go out a second time to make my threatening clap noise, and he gets
the idea the first time at this point. I go back in. At some point, this
dog has been out for a couple of hours. He eventually comes back around
front, and now around the side of the house toward ours, still barking
at who knows what, but for some reason he's barking at our back yard.

Around 3:37 AM, I get woken up because he's still barking. He's been out
for 4 hours and those idiots don't hear this?? When our dog has been let
out to potty, I make sure she gets back in as she begins to make noise.
If she's barking, she's not pooping.

This time I've had it. No more noises, he's going to get an angry voice.
I hold back my urge to include profanity. I go to the back door, but
don't turn on the light. That would be a signal and the dog would take
off before he got yelled at.

I step out to make sure the stupid dog is there, and barking. He's going
to get the full brunt of my treatment. I suppose at this point he's
either barking at the tree or the moonlight shining through its
branches. Damn stupid dog.

I wait only a second before I get a bark, and I unleash the loudest
"SHUT UUUUPP!!" Sister Mary Elephant-style that I can angrily manage at
that time in the morning. I lost about 3 to 4 hours of sleep to this
mutt. (OK, idiot dog, but any stupid dog barking for 4 hours in the
middle of the night without its stupid owner excercising control over it
is a mutt in my book.)

The dog immediately turns around and makes a beeline away from there.
And not a single peep out of it for the rest of the night and into the
next morning.

It's a wonder the dog hasn't been shot already due to its wandering out
of the yard into places it's not supposed to be. I'm sure there's
someone out there that will do it, even if it's only a BB gun to the
dog's testicles to teach it a lesson.

Next time, there will be profanity in that angry scream.

No comments: