not control. It was a twin size bed, and the frame and everything with
that provided plenty of support. Not a problem with it in the long time
I used it. I wish I had it back. It was a no-nonsense bed frame.
Jump to living at my grandfather's house. The bed this time is a king or
something. It's wider than my twin bed. Why do I not still have the
twin? The box springs and the mattress literally disintegrated upon
moving it. I didn't have the money to replace them considering the job I
had at the time. It had become very comfortable for my purposes. It was
a perfect sleeper. Unfortunately, it was left behind.
So I get this bed my grandparents had. One of two by the way. It has
flimsy thin metal rails. No support structure underneath the box
springs. One of the rails bent the first day I sat on the bed, requiring
ever since a stack of books and pieces of wood to prevent further
sagging, which it didn't quite prevent but for a while it worked.
Jump to the house we're in now. Only now do I discover that the floor is
not square, actually. One side of my bed where it sits now is higher
than the other and I think the floor sags or something. It wasn't made
very well. And the bent rail is a bit more bent. I was able to get a
formerly used metal futon frame kindly donated to me by a friend with
the plan of using it for support. It has an 11 inch lift from the floor,
so I expected some play as I would use it to support my bed, since its
rails were supposed to support the box springs at 10 inches off the
floor.
It also doesn't help that the two pieces of metal, fashioned in some way
as hooks of really thick wire, designed to keep the rails of the bed
together and provide some means of support actually snapped off the
hooks in the middle of the box springs. Rendering them useless. I
replaced it with a muchly knotted bungee cord.
What I would really like are rails of square tubing metal, or at least
something of that nature either replacing the crap I've got now or
somehow securely welded and / or bolted to the rails I got now.
At the time in 1995 (7 long months of hell) during which my older sister
was renovating the house we used to have, there was an offer made to
make for me a bed frame pedestal thing of sorts. I turned it down due to
the fact that I do not want my older sister in my room for any purpose
because she's nosy and would make all sorts of unnecessary comments
about things she has no business making comments about. Sort of like my
father. If it could have been made outside, then I bring it inside in
pieces and I assemble it myself, that might have worked. But as it was,
I had a good bed already.
I certainly didn't want a bigger bed just yet. Which is also why I am
not using the waterbed frame. It's too honking big.
At any rate, I think I will need far less wood under the box springs to
stop the seesaw motion the mattress and all have now. But at least it
won't fall through the rails anymore!
No comments:
Post a Comment