My friends said they were out and about on Friday to see that Books-a-Million had finally set up shop in the former Borders location, and I went up on Saturday to check them out, mainly because I was concerned if they would have manga. As it is, they were still "moving in" but they were doing good business anyway. And they do INDEED have MANGA. To me, my last memory of being in Borders during the clearance sale placed the Manga section right where I found it on Saturday. SAILOR MOON AND SAILOR V are IN STOCK. I was so worried that the new edition of the manga would be without representation in my area and I'm glad to see it happening.
Books-a-Million appears pretty serious about manga, and I even saw some stuff from Del Rey from before Kodansha took over, and if you look they had some older stock which is nice to see but I would hope it sells eventually.
There seemed to be some need for organization as some of the books were not sorted right. Maybe that's the function of the top shelf? Speaking of shelves, it seems much if not all of the former Borders store fixtures were mostly still there.
I hope Books-a-Million doesn't do what Borders did and move the manga away from the front of the store to the back, where it's a long walk. I would appreciate wider aisles because of the occasional "reader not a buyer" customer.
I was hoping to find With The Light books I didn't get during my last visit to Borders ie The Borders Clearance Store, but failing that I caught up on Bunny Drop.
As I paid for my selection, the cashier mentioned their Frequent Shoppers (as I'll call it) card. It had a fee, $20 a year, to save on purchases. Wait - the Borders Rewards card didn't have a fee. How does it make sense to pay something to save money? I don't get it. I declined signing up for their card, but did mention I was glad to see Sailor Moon and Sailor V in stock on the shelves and the place open again as a bookstore. The cashier informs me that the previous day was their first open at this location.
No comments:
Post a Comment