(yeah!) from SuperS. It was pretty clear at the time these were being
released that Pioneer wanted fans to buy the DVDs since the VHS releases
were 3 episodes each, as I recall.
They also seemed to want fans to watch the uncut dub more than the uncut
sub. Why is the sound on these for the Japanese audio so muddy? I
realize it's probably due to the original being mono, but the same music
for the dub is crystal clear. I'm pretty sure the audio was better on
the LDs of the same material.
I bought this DVD at flea market for $4, and might have to find a DVD
polish kit to clean it up a little but it's not bad as it is now. Or I
should look into replacing the Cyberhome player because it's been
getting pretty lousy playing pressed and burned disks. It might need
cleaned, I dunno.
I think it's time Sailor Moon fans start searching thrift stores and
flea market for Sailor Moon video releases and save them from being in
those places. I bought the edited dub of the SuperS movie at a Goodwill
for about $3, and one edited S VHS tape at a flea market for 50 cents.
And now this DVD which covers material I didn't already have. I'll
probably end up piecing together a Sailor Moon DVD set sometime.
I felt it necessary to buy it because Anime North is going on this
weekend. While I do miss it a lot, I realize nothing could be done about
it. I finally got my checks this week, a bit late. I also have a
replacement refridgerator in the works.
The home page of WebTV was saying something about rushing to save the
memories of WWII vets. Among the things my grandparents left and I ended
up with were the letters my grandfather got and sent when he was
drafted. Dec 14, 1942 was when he got his notice. He wrote back to his
wife (both my mom's parents) Dec 22 1942 on the back of the other sheet
of his draft notice:
Dear ---,
I am sending you these papers. I didn't need the marriage license. I
kept one pair of underwear and hankies and the towels and wash cloths. I
guess these dam fools have got me. I had 2 shots in the arms today,
pretty sore right now. Every dam thing you do hear you have to run.
Don't write to me here as I may be shipped out anytime. Don't know
whether I will be home for Christmas or not. I don't know whether I'll
get what I wanted or not. I sent my clothes in a box, the handbag I sent
by express. I don't like it at all but guess I will have to stay for the
duration. I have my uniform now. Well, honey, this is all I have time
for. Take care of yourself now. With lots of love, your hubby ----
xxxxxx.
----
And to think he wanted me to enlist in the services when he didn't like
it himself? Hypocrite. I don't have any other later letters that say
anything if he eventually liked what he ended up doing, but I'm pretty
sure he didn't see combat action. I was told he ended up with some desk
job in the Army-Air Force while in England. He could have ended up with
a similar job when he got out (with decent pay), but ended up working at
the wax paper company in town. It wasn't a bad job, as I'm sure he was
paid OK, but not as much as the desk job would have been. His retirement
pay was very nice, having been born at the time just before they changed
the pay rules at Social Security.
I also have somewhere his medals in a display thingy, and I managed to
work out what he got from extensive net searching. I have a bunch of the
German military script he managed to collect and some other currency
that might be worth something for all I know.
He never really talked much about his time in the service and we don't
know why. One friend's father used to talk alot about his time in the
Navy during WWII, so perhaps he had a better experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment