Thursday, January 10, 2008

DVD Recorders and Valu City

Did some investigation into the DVD recorders selection at one local
Valu City, as I'm considering getting another recorder because of my
Cyberhome unit needing some Luvincare that I'm anxious about doing. I
feel it needs some lubrication on the laser assembly. Oh well, I'll get
it done.

tonikaku...

Up first is an RCA DRC8052. Crossed this off quickly due to one owner's
report that it's too sensitive to the mysterious anti-copy flag in video
signals off TV. Some cable / satellite systems apparently set this flag
in the signal. About the only way to defeat this problem is to use a VCR
or other tuner device with composite out and route it into a magical
box, one of which I have. ^_^

Next up was the Sanyo DRW500. Some negative things about it was found,
though a supposed Firmware Update can be had to fix those issues, if you
can figure out how to burn the update CD right. A rumor is out there
that it defeats macrovision. I decided to pass on this one.

Next pair are interesting to note - the Magnavox MWR10D6 and the Funai
SV2000. BOTH are made by Funai and sold by Magnavox. More often than
not, people who have bought the Magnavox unit (dubbing it "Maggie") have
been very pleased with its performance, as well as the Funai SV2000,
which is also a unit once sold at Walmart. Both units also seem to some
people to be the very same unit. The Maggie unit requires Svideo In to
be enabled via on-screen menu. I may be considering one of these units.
The general opinion I got - if it screws up badly, you either check the
media you're using or take it back because it's most likely defective.
You shouldn't have any trouble with these brands.

The Apex DRX9200 is the last unit I took a look at. Some people claim
Apex units improve picture quality instead of degrade it, but reports on
this one was mixed at best.

One thing I found out is that there seems to be 3 brands people rave
about as being the Top 3 among DVD recorders: Pioneer, Lite On, and JVC.
A friend of mine has an ILO which is a Lite On variant, according to
some info I once looked up. Picture quality in various recording modes
appears to be very good. I know my friend's ILO does particularly well.
Then just behind those are ones made by Magnavox and Funai.

I really want to consider one with a hard drive, though. That way I can
spend the time recording something digitally and then the unit can burn
it to a disk and should the disk become a high tech drink coaster, no
worries because I can try again fairly quickly without having to sit
through the initial phase all over again.

The main thing to look for is Do I have a defective unit right out of
the box? I think it would be pretty easy to figure that out if it
doesn't work as you expect it to or it starts screwing up pretty
quickly.

No comments: