Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another Renter Bites The Dust

After only 1 month, the latest occupant of Apartment B has been ordered
to vacate due to not paying the security deposit as well as not paying
rent for June.

She "lost" her job in May. Boy, that set a new record. At least the
previous occupant had her job for about 5 months before she got fired
from it due to stealing from a client.

We're going to pick the next renter and I'm going to write up the lease
contract. There's a LOT of conditions that will be met.

I figured this lady would be trouble from day one. While she was moving
in, the building was having the roof worked on. We were told in no
uncertain terms what was to go in the dumpster and was not. She decided
upon herself without asking anyone to put one chair we had in Apt. B in
the dumpster. I had to remove that. Then she put in other items she no
longer wanted - apparently going through the stuff she was moving and
getting rid of it. Garbage. Garbage consisted of any personal items you
would buy for yourself. That included clothing and furniture as well as
food. I had to put a sign on the dumpster before it stopped, which was
me writing on a pizza box that got deposited in there.

The chair smelled like dog urine, apparently peed on by the little dog
of the lady who lived there. It didn't smell like that before!

Then she claimed she kept getting nails in her tires and had to buy 3
new ones, and wanted my sister to pay for them. She refused. But she did
pay for new carpet to be installed. Hmph.

We eventually did get rid of the chair. But one night I came home and
found mom's roll top desk sitting outside Apt. B with flowers and
planters all over it. Morgan, not her real name, said she didn't have
room in the apartment for it, and asked if we had room for it. I told
her no, but it could be put in Apt. C, but it was mom's and she wouldn't
want it ruined. Again, she decided without asking to move something we
provided, and did so in a way that we would not have approved.

I had to post a sign saying Do Not Block Driveway and put up a Visitor
Parking sign. I told her it was safe to park in the grass next to the
house. She did that only once, instead opting to park in front of Apt.
B's front door or our door or some space across the road. I had to honk
my horn only twice when coming home, and had to deal with a drunk who
backed up a little too much early on.

My older sister, the landlord, is not waiting this time. When she got a
call from the renter, she explained that we was going to ask her to
vacate and had 3 days to leave. "But I have no other place to go!" Too
bad, you no pay rent and security deposit ($750), you no stay.

So we got the statement tonight, printed 2 copies. One was posted on her
front door, the other was put in an envelope and slid under her front
door.

Apt. B renter finally returned about 10 minutes ago. I was in the
kitchen doing stuff. She knocks on the back door. Right away, she
accused me of entering her apartment and wanted to know how the envelope
"got into the middle of the floor". I told her I simply slid it under
the door. I don't have a key to her apartment, and I was never in there.
What had happened is that the envelope was caught by the bottom edge of
the door and was pushed into the room when she came back and opened it.
That seemed to calm her down a bit, but does not remove the reason for
the letter, and that is to vacate in 3 days.

How dare she get smart with me and accuse me of being in there anyway?
Well, you didn't pay rent, and you spoke to the landlord over the phone
who said you are to leave. She isn't going to take her money, because
then you have to wait all over again to evict someone. If she doesn't
leave, then there will be a sheriff called to evict her.

No comments: