Since my older sister did a half-assed job putting tar paper and No
Shingles on the roof, some of that tar paper on my part of the roof over
My Room blew off during the day. The paper itself was inexpertly applied
and has some holes in it. (Oh no - but oh yes). I'm beginning to think
this was done on purpose.
It leaked like last Tuesday's storms but even worse. I mean Oh my God,
if it hadn't stopped raining when it did, I'd have lost lots of my
possessions and anime goodies. I was flipping out like never before.
There's a reason why I should be investing in more of those plastic tubs
for storage. I bought 4 more this week.
My bed was soaked. I didn't sleep in my bed Tuesday night at all.
Wednesday night it was cold and damp but darnit, it's my bed and I'm
sleeping in my room. The ceiling has more damage than before my sister
tried "fixing" the roof.
I put up with so much.
It's good I had Wednesday off. I went up to Lowe's in Alliance around
9:30 am or so and bought a roll of 10 feet by 100 feet of 4 mil plastic
sheeting.
Now here's where it gets interesting. I had always wanted to get some of
this stuff. I find out plastic sheeting is very affordable and comes
folded up in rolls. I need just under 250 square feet of the stuff (My
room measures about 12 x 17, but I have the attic to cover). This stuff
ranges from thin plastic wrap used in painting to heavy duty 6 mil
that's clear or black and used in construction. In a pinch, 6 mil black
plastic sheeting could be tacked in place on the roof and used as actual
roofing material. 6 mil is Industrial use. Sugoi ne!
The roll I buy is under $40. Cheap! I get some staples for the stapling
gun, and off I go.
I spent about 2 to 3 hours in that attic laying this stuff down and
fixing it in place. This is when I see a hole in the roof, and right
above the plastic storage tub I placed there last year to catch the
leak. Before my older sister came along and ripped things off, I had
this one controlled in my catch and release system. Now this one spot
looks like someone put their foot through the wood. It's a freaking huge
hole!!! That's along with the loads of sunlight pinholes I see between
the wood slats and all.
If noone has mentioned how fun it is laying down plastic sheeting in
their attic, do not let me be the first to say that.
I made a good first effort in getting this stuff down. I'm afraid to say
that while this will handle most of the leaks, there's some at the very
edge of the roof it won't contain. I am not done. I spent Thursday sore
and in pain. It wasn't until I had a beer that most of the pain went
away. I have to go up again to finish the job and to check the wiring
for the one working baseboard heater that for some reason isn't working
right now. (oh no...) I am still feeling a little sore so I probably
will have more beer.
I hope to get this finished before the next time it rains. I may also
take the caulking gun up there and see about sealing some of this from
the inside.
Still nobody has shown up to put any shingles on the roof. I'm
considering talking to an attorney to see if I can sue my landlord. What
she did was WRONG. We get treated so badly by her. She has a PhD and
thinks she knows best, but this time it was clear she should not have
done anything more than one roof at a time. She's done this stuff
before. 7 months in 1995...
No comments:
Post a Comment