Monday, November 17, 2025

Not unlike Chili

I spent a few hours this afternoon working on the question of my desk drawer replacement. Finally. 3 hours using my rotary tool & a rigged up routing attachment accessory because it wasn't made for my particular rotary tool but once adapted, performed its task about averagely.

I say about averagely because the tool heated up for much of the use asked of it. The routing bit seemed like it gave up being sharp enough to affect the wood it was being asked to do something to. After 3 hours & a long day - with 1 inch left on a big piece - I gave up & decided to take a break, What I did next I had never done in all the time I owned this rotary tool - I took it apart & applied some lubricating oil to the proper parts. The inner workings are shockingly simple. A DC motor hooked to a power cord with a simple switch.

A proper rest later, I decided I was finally going to make Chili, or namely Random Chili. I start with a vague idea of what Chili is to me & I hopefully arrive later at something edible reminding me of chili. This meant defrosting a 1 pound roll of ground turkey, chopping the better parts of a decent onion, chopping a green pepper, rinsing & slicing an 8 ounce box of common white mushrooms, finding 3 small tomatoes in the vegetable drawer I had forgotten about having suddenly sprouted mold on 2 of them - I rinsed & chopped the lone good tomato - and then rounded up the diced garlic, garlic powder, chili powder, Siracha sauce, Chef Troy's Crunchy Chili Garlic Sauce, & Adobo. The canned ingredients ended up being 1 can no salt diced tomatoes, 1 small can tomato paste, 1 can no salt corn (drained), 1 can no salt kidney beans, 1 can no salt dark red kidney beans, 1 can low sodium black beans. And that was enough!

Mom would get out her stock pot & nearly fill it up with whatever she made. And we'd eat off the treasured meal for a couple weeks. Anywho, I get my chili going, get everything cooked through. And taste it. Excellent again. What's even better is it'll thicken when it cools down. I love it when I get that going on. Didn't need cheese or spaghetti.

I have plans to finish cutting the groove I need in the pieces for the desk drawer replacement tomorrow. I just wish I had been able to finish today before my stamina ran out. Or was that my pain relief? 

No comments: