And in the span of about 2 hours, I have effected a better fix for my bed in regard to ribs which keep falling out. 3/8 inch bolts Grade 8 bought yesterday at Lowe's where I made a sizeable purchase of supplies.
The plan was to buy 12 8 inch long 3/8 inch bolts Grade 8 (decently strong! from info I had searched) & with a metal rated 3/8 inch drill bit, punch holes through the bed frame & slide them through & into the ribs which were 3/8 inch hollow. And that plan pretty much held through! I fixed the 2 most annoying ribs, including the 1st one which I had slapped a ton of Gorilla Tape on & was more or less still in place. But finally I had a better idea. The fix I put in place at the time was born in the middle of the night with the idea of getting the heck back to sleep & maybe for the past year worked well enough.
Lowe's didn't have 12 8 inch bolts but 4 3 inch ones... But I also got 6 8 inch 3/8 inch bolts of a lesser grade. Don't know how strong they are, but hopefully if I need to replace the ones now in use, they'll do until I get the 8 inch bolts.
The idea was to make it impossible for the ribs to fall out when parts of my bed frame somehow twist & bend & allow ribs to fall out of their U shaped catch supports. Punch a hole through, shove in a honking long strong bolt, & be done with it. It's a design oversight. Bad engineering.
No comments:
Post a Comment