Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ran into my first bad Verbatim disk

Today while watching the video I put on a Verbatim DVD+R, the playback started messing up at one point late in the disk. At first, maybe the source was messed up, or maybe the DVD player was being marginal at the spot it was reading the disk. So I got the disk out and looked at it.

There was a surface scratch that affected media burning, so in the spot on the media behind the scratch are blank unburned spots. I had to search the rest of the stack (not much of a coincidence that I'm at the bottom of this media stack) and found several others with scratches near the edge, and a couple with a scratch in the middle which renders them unusable.

I found a couple others with no flaws, reburned the disk, and finished watching what I had on the other, now garbaged, disk.

I used to run into bad media at the bottom of some orange-backed HP media stacks. But this is the first time I ran into any with Verbatim. And they had the nerve to raise the price on their media last time I was at the store. I'll still buy Verbatim, but now I'll check the surface for scratches incurred during manufacturing.

What's interesting is I found a few more disks with scratches similar to the one I found today, in that if I didn't have content that ran into that area, the rest of the disk would be just fine. I might use them for small projects.
 

No comments: