Saturday, August 09, 2008

The usual Criticisms about NBC's airing of Olympic Opening Ceremony

I watched and taped the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics
tonight. I don't know why it wasn't shown letterboxed (aka converted HD
broadcast) on DirecTV like they're going to have to do soon - which I am
against. I am against digital-only TV broadcasting. At least there
should be a trigger in the signal that tells converter boxes when
something is in Standard Definition (aka current analog 720 if I
remember right) and High Def (1080i or 1080p - interlaced or progressive
scan). That way converter boxes know how to display the digital
broadcast correctly between the 2 formats of programming, and
re-broadcasters like DirecTV can program _their_ satellite receivers
accordingly. But really - aren't there other signal ranges that can be
used for what the gov't is proposing to do with analog TV spectrum?

Anywho, what did NBC's broadcast suffer from, as usual?

1. TOO MANY COMMERCIALS - At least when you break into the program to
pay the light bill, PICK UP WHERE YOU BROKE OFF.

2. IT WAS TAPE-DELAYED - I don't necessarily NEED my Opening Ceremony in
Prime Time When it can be shown LIVE earlier in the day!! Just when are
we US viewers of the Olympics not going to have to put up with tape
delayed programming any more?

3. BAD CAMERA ANGLES - Considering the Bird's Nest Stadium is so HUGE
(room for over 90,000 people), most if not all of the visuals required
an Overhead or Wide Angle Shot. Was it shown in HD? I don't know because
we didn't get a letterboxed picture at all. Sure, there were moments
when a close up was a good idea, but the director of photography didn't
seem to know what he wanted the cameras to do, nor which cameras to use.
And considering what amounted to as a huge LED screen on the field,
there should have been direct overhead shots to show that content. I
would have liked it.

4. THEY HAD 4 HOURS TO USE - and like I said, it was on tape, so they
did the best they could with the Parade of Nations with all the athletes
and other Olympic Officials from various countries, but the actual
theatrics could have been done better. We also didn't get to see how the
flame cauldron was brought into the stadium. I would have loved to see
how they made that appear!

I'm not complaining about it being 4 hours long - sometimes it could be
longer. ^_^

There were some nice aerial views of the fireworks (Tamaya!!) and that
was nice. Some shots could have at least been rehearsed. We missed some
things because nobody seemed to know what was going to happen next - at
least tell people where they should be pointing the cameras even if you
don't want to tell them what they'll be seeing!

I'd have liked more wide shots, a live broadcast earlier in the day, and
fewer commercials which also means less missed content of the Opening
Ceremonies show, especially if you pick up exactly where you left off.
This is SO easy to do, and is such a no-brainer. This was a huge chance
for NBC to show Chinese culture to a new audience who might be more or
less ignorant about it. Instead, NBC used this program as a shameless
attempt to hawk their Fall Shows. Well, Heroes really doesn't need
hawked - it's a ratings grabber without much problem, and the other new
shows? I'm probably not going to bother at all.

Work it out with your sponsors and do it with very limited commercial
interruption, much like HGTV does the Rose Bowl Parade.

And to all those cute Chinese girls who lined the edge of the inner
field where all the athletes ended up after marching around the stadium,
the pretty Chinese girls who danced and greeted them for over 2 hours,
my hats off to you, and you're all invited over to my house for an
after-opening ceremony party. BYOB. ^_-

No comments: