Monday, October 01, 2007

Figured out the blank image search results!

It took me to getting blank pages when trying to load the ad_banner images off karindvd.com to finally realize that Norton Internet Security was being anal in blocking ads - and being a bit too agressive. It blocked images of print ads on one site from its gallery, and was blocking image search results from Google. I had to look up on the net about this, and figured out how to stop Norton Internet Security from blocking stuff I don't want blocked! The software really should prompt people by saying there is content that could be an ad and do you want to block it. Provide a box where you can say Not This Time, or Yes, or Apply my decision to images from this site, or whatnot. Instead I would get blank image search results because some of the HTML content had strings it was detecting and presto - it blocked it.

I prefer it be like Firefox, and let you choose which sites and ads you don't want to see, as well as the capability to BLOCK ADS IN FLASH. ARGH!! Also the ability to grab Flash content from a right click menu!! Why hasn't someone done this?

Also found some images I had saved on other WebTV accounts and finally got them off in some way. One unfortunately was truncated prematurely. Dangit. One was giving me fits. I don't know if it was the email or Yahoo! being anal. This 549K JPG would download in Firefox, but you go to it in My Computer and see nothing. The file would be 0 bytes. I must have tried everything and downloaded the damn thing 10 times. So I took to forwarding the message I sent from WebTV to Yahoo back to myself on Yahoo. Then I forwarded that as an attachment to WebTV where I had the laptop grab it...

This is another annoyance of the desktop. I got Outlook under XP to access my POP mailbox on WebTV only once!!! Yahoo! doesn't seem to have a problem. I can read newsgroups, but I think either AVG, Norton, or Norton Internet Security is blocking access to the WebTV pop server. AVG certainly jumps in and pulls up this window, and everything screeches to a halt. Accessing the pop mailbox for incoming messages times out. One time I got it to work I figured out that IE had to be running. I haven't gotten it to work since.

What the hell am I doing wrong? It's all configured!! Does Mozilla's Thunderbird work any better?

The Laptop - no problem. Dial up and connect, launch Outlook and it does its job. No fussing.

At any rate, I finally got a copy of this 549K image that actually saved. I managed to squish it down to about 239K. It's on a floppy. Yay me.

No comments: