Monday, October 11, 2004

Why Sometimes You Shouldn't Call 911


OK, around 5 pm Saturday I'm doing an update to my Archive CDrom. My
younger sister arrives to do some stuff for mom, and about the time
she's at the front door, some explosion happens and shakes the house a
little. My sister tries to say she closed the front door and that shook
the house, but I know better. As it turns out, while I was up and able
to look out the window, there's 2 people in a golf cart coming across
our lawn where the external garage stands, and apparently they saw
something that happened and it was across the street.

They see a fire going, and boy oh boy, that was an explosion. So not
knowing what's going on, I get out the videocamera and shoot a little
footage. Meanwhile my sister dials up 911 to report the incident.

Ah. Bad move. Because as soon as she's done making the report, she tries
to hang up and call her house. "Tries to call" is the phrase, because
after the 911 thingy ... No Dial Tone.

Anywho, the fire trucks come out and check on the fire. As it turns out,
the rednecks across the road from us in the trees decided to light a
fire, and to help it along they dumped a container of fuel oil on it.
Which caused the explosion people saw.

In the meantime, we went without phone service for about 1 and a half
days. We had service, voltage on the line was there, just after the 911
call, the dial tone never came back. I'll ask mom later if the Verizon
guy who got here after 10 this morning if he told her what happened...

In the meantime, while I was bored and we had no phone service, other
than the archive CDrom update, I managed to figure out how to burn
Windows WAVe files to audio CD. They need to be 22050 Hz or 44 KHz
sample rate, 16 bit, mono or stereo. And then I figured out how to
record audio from an external source for writing as an Audio CD. Which
means a CD version of my videogame commercials tape is close to becoming
real. I need to figure out how to record stereo audio though. One piece
of software on my mom's Dell can edit video - but without a video
capture device, it's almost useless, but it's there should I be able to
get a capture card that works with the Dell and the software. But it's
also useful for capturing long clips of audio as a Narration. Heh. ^.^
Nothing else on there at the moment will record clips longer than 1
minute, which I used Sound Recorder at the 44 Khz rate to do some clips
off my commercials tape. ^_^

You get bored, you get horny or do something else. Or both. ^.^

No comments: