From one mailing list I get...
Takuwan (Pickled Daikon)
1 large Daikon 1/10 cup salt
1/3 cup vinegar 1 or 2 qt size jar
2/3 cup sugar 1 small red chili pepper
2/3 cup water
Cut daikon into bite-size slices and pack tightly into jars. Boil
vinegar, sugar, water and salt until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour
boiled vinegar mixture into jars. Put one red chili pepper into jar and
cover tightly. Place jar upside down overnight; refrigerate. In a few
days, the takuwan will turn bright yellow.
"Anyway, it is really good with green tea or genmai cha over rice. I
have tried it myself, and it is really delicious, although it was sort
of on the sweet side so you can adjust the sugar. This recipe is from
the State of hawaii Dept. of agriculture - actually from Times
Supermarket in Honolulu. It's about 5 years old."
I guess I don't have to put up with saccharine sweetened takuwan
anymore! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment