Friday, August 14, 2026

Lasagna Tonight, what 6 cans of 8 ounce tomato sauce looks like

Made Lasagna tonight, finally using up the free box which was here when I moved in... how many years ago? There were 7 noodle sheets left in the box, and I intended to use them all.

Changes I made from the recipe on the back:

I used 1 pound of ground turkey, adding some chopped onion (the remainder of the red onion from the potato salad recipe) and chopped green pepper (which I bought as marked down produce on the 3rd). Seasoned it with onion & garlic powder, some black pepper, and some thyme. Then after it was suitably browned, broke it up in my crank chopper for better consistency in the meat-sauce mixture the recipe said to make. Added basil, oregano, and sage in the crank chopper to better spread it around. Tomato part of the sauce was a free 15 ounce can of low sodium tomato sauce & 1 14.5 ounce can of no salt diced tomatoes. Recipe says to get 2 25.25 ounce cans of marinara but I got enough anyway.

Cheese mixture was 1 pound of ricotta, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup grated parmesan. I had that ricotta since July. I had plans since then for lasagna.

Cooked the noodles in boiling water in a skillet until soft (about 7 minutes) and I always wonder if I actually cook them long enough and I don't find out until after it bakes. And I got them cooked perfectly. I try to get them soft enough to droop but still needing some baking so the lasagna sheets draw moisture from everything around them so it coagulates. I find it odd the recipe on the box says to boil 5 quarts of water and use THE WHOLE 1 POUND BOX and the recipe says to use at most 6, because you ain't going to need more than 3 wide in a 13x9 pan and you're doing 2 layers.

Used Queso instead of provolone, did the layering, got it covered, baked it as specified, and let it cool. My Teppanyakii steel spatulas were PERFECT for cutting and serving lasagna! And it tastes so good I had a hard time stopping... but I managed it. Into the fridge it goes.


Also included a photo as to what 6 cans of no salt 8 ounce tomato sauce looks like when it's delivered correctly. Also I thought I had water left in the skillet after cooking the lasagna noodles but it evaporated after coming back an hour later while I watched Nyana's return strim.

No comments: