Sunday, September 22, 2024

Orzo Pasta

Made Orzo pasta tonight for the 1st time. It's like rice but in pasta form. I used the recipe / directions specified on the back as I had no plan at all for it.

Instead of olive oil, I used the last dregs of a nearly empty bottle of Canola. Recipe said to toast the orzo in a sauce pan for 2 mins & stir. I felt at least 5 minutes without burning would be sufficient for a decent color. Canola has a higher smoke point & won't add to the flavor, so for my 1st time that's okay. I do have olive oil so should I get another 98 cent box of orzo, I have the option.

32 ounces of chicken broth was asked for, but I used 3 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 4 cups of near boiling water to cut the sodium. 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper is the seasoning but I might use more next time. The recipe even asked for an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt but I eschewed it.

Bring to a boil, set to low & simmer for 5 minutes. I let it simmer for 7 because pasta. Removed from heat, added 2 tablespoons margarine (unsalted), and let it sit for more than 5 minutes. Liquid absorbing time. Then stir in 3 tablespoons lemon juice.

It came out quite nice. I added the remainder of a open can of Diced Tomatoes & sprinkled a bit of grated Italian blend cheese over. 250 grams for a serving. Orzo this way is actually quite good. I think the diced tomato added some flavor.

I had no plan for supper & I bought this on a lark for no reason. And now I have the chance to taste this cold tomorrow.


No comments: