Thursday, September 26, 2024

Arroz con Gandules

Tonight, inspired by my favorite streamer, Maika Mallow, I finally made Arroz con Gandules aka Rice with Pigeon Peas aka Puerto Rican Rice. I may season it extra hard next time without increasing the sodium even though I followed the recipe I found exactly as written. The rice turned out a bright orange which may not come through in these pictures, adjusted for blue hued LED lighting & my cell phone's potato camera. I'm also now a fan of Sofrito, and excuse me if I want to eat the stuff right out of the jar! I did substitute regular sliced pearl black olives for the ones the recipe said to use because I'm not a fan of green olives regardless of the name.

This took a while to assemble because the ingredients aren't the usual things I buy. But I can rest assured I have enough to make this again & I likely will. I even took the time to whip out my Sushi rolling mat & with a sheet of nori made a maki roll with this rice, & I have to say this made it even better. I didn't have to simmer for more than 20 minutes - something I worried about because of the directions to heap the rice in the center & then put aluminum foil over it & then the lid. ALSO REMEMBER THE ADOBO. Yeah, I forgot but still put it in while simmering.

And now I get to taste it cold tomorrow to see if the flavors come through better than when it's freshly hot.

No comments: