Thursday, December 05, 2013

It's always something

I REALLY hope the latest anomaly with the Fred Exploder isn't expensive to remedy. I know it needs to go in for an oil change - that's a given. What I hope the thing this time isn't expensive. A couple of times on my way home from doing things in Alliance as I got closer to home I noticed my speed dropped and the RPMs spiked near and above 3000. Under all other normal use, it never gets above 2500. Now, I know I was not paying attention to my driving (thinking about random things) and didn't keep my speed up, but having the RPMs spike like that is unusual. None of my other gauges were off - they were all in the proper ranges, and no lights came on. I then made sure to get my speed back up to the posted limit and things were fine until I had to slow down to around 40 mph, and the Exploder would be shifting down (it's automatic) and once again I saw that spike. As I turned off onto a side road to get home, it did not happen again all the way to parking and shutting it off.

Any time anything is odd with the operation of the vehicle I'm driving, I don't like it. My anxiety goes up because it means paying someone to do something about it. After getting the power steering, belt tensioner, and exhaust worked on, I do not want another expensive repair bill. A minor bonus is the oil change at the dealer is $5 less than the place I had been going to.

Now, seeing as it's the RPMs and that usually means transmission stuff, I did check the fluid level. Or at least try to. It seems to still have the right amount, but I'll see if they include general fluids check when doing an oil change. They'll know how to read it properly and how to add fluids properly.

No comments: