Friday, October 22, 2010

Up late with a Dell Dimension L866R with WinME on it

I don't know why I stayed up after 2 am last night trying to do stuff with a Dell L866R desktop. Someone gave it to me just because they didn't want it anymore.

It had some stupid toolbars that didn't do any good. My first problem  was that the Samsung SD612 DVD Rom drive wasn't reading CDs. I found out it reads DVDs just fine, but DVD drives are supposed to read CDs, too. After finding out it recognizes burned Data DVDs, I had my other P4 tower burn out a Data DVD with a few tools, but that was a challenge in that I was first using Infrarecorder to do that. I don't know what it
was doing after I added files to the disk project and then it put them  on what it was going to burn, but after it got that far, it would get stuck in preparing what it was going to burn. I don't know what it was  doing. I did a forced shutdown, got it to make an ISO at least, but still InfraRecorder would get stuck in getting ready to burn it. It makes CDs no problem. So I used another piece of software to burn my  InfraRecorder made ISO to an actual DVD which then worked.

I've used InfraRecorder to make a Data DVD before. I wonder if the  problem lies in that I wanted to put a lot less than 1G on the disk. I noticed my other program wrote quite a bit more than the measely amount
I did get onto it. Or that InfraRecorder was not only padding out the  data to be burned, but encoding it, too? I don't know.

But the Samsung drive on the L866R is SLOW. Or that it's just got issues, but either way, that drive will need replaced. The system appears to not have been used for 7 years. I found someone's high school  "Homecoming" pics and some ripped CD tracks. Why do they call it a "Homecoming" rather than just a fall festival?

I finally got something done by copying HijackThis onto a floppy. It let me shut down a bunch of crap and WinME became more responsive again. It's still got issues. I'll need to find the USB drivers for my Lexar
128MB thumbdrive since it appears to act like Win98SE when I plugged  mine in. If I can't get one of my tools to remove junk to run on WinME, I might have to resort to Avast 4 Home.

It has no Ethernet card, which some reports said it's supposed to have. 128MB RAM, and it'll cost me $30 to bring it up to the maximum 512MB. 20G hard drive.

It's not going to do anything important, if at all.

Update: I got USB Thumbdrive support working on it! and I have Spybot S&D finding the bugs since Spybot works with Windows ME. Also set the wallpaper. I think I will now be able to grab the stuff I wanted to grab off it. It might get a Windows ME-tan wallpaper.

No comments: