Friday, March 19, 2010

Dealing with animal / urine smell

I'll admit that our house has a slight animal urine smell to it. You
canna miss it coming in the door!

At least I have found ways to fight it, some of which work.

Nature's Miracle is expensive and frequently works. I have lots of
square inches to cover so I can't always rely on that.

White distilled vinegar, cheap at about $2 a jug, appears to help quite
a bit. I've found you have to saturate the area you're wanting to treat
or nothing happens.

Another bit I've been using is oxygen cleaner and lemon juice. The
peroxide part of the cleaner is the important part of removing the odor,
but the topper is the citrus smell in the lemon juice, supposedly cats
don't like the smell of lemon or even orange juice or citrus smells in
general. Also that lemon juice and vinegar are mild acids, which help to
break up the chemicals in the urine. Do not use ammonia. Bleach might
help but only if the carpet color isn't affected. (Ours was.)

My grandfather's cat is getting cantankerous and from time to time I've
caught him pissing in places he knows he's not supposed to but does it,
which gets swift punishment. Thankfully, I've been finding the spots and
have begun removal.

There's a spot under the desk where my mom had her feet on the carpet
while using the computer. Her feet sweat a lot and fermented sweat in
the carpet doesn't help things, especially when it builds up. I kept
bitching at her to wear slippers and she for the most part ignored me or
refused, but as the spot got soaked (and Griz began peeing on it), the
smell grew and was just unable to be ignored. Putting a rubber-backed
mat on the spot didn't help. Griz just peed on that, too.

I did some of my first treatment with the cleaner and lemon juice and at
first checking seems to have done some good.

I've had to block off my room and one spot in the kitchen as well as a
few areas in the main room downstairs to "encourage" Griz to use the
litter box. He's getting old so I expect him to expire some time soon.
He outlasted my grandfather by 6 years so far, and we have no idea how
old he was when my grandfather got him.

No comments: