Monday, June 22, 2009

Wrangling Firefox 3 into shape

For some reason I mistakenly told Firefox 2 to download the latest revision of Firefox 3 and all attempts to stop it didn't work when I thought it had. grrr...

Already I had problems with it.

First off, there's a crapload of plug-ins I did not ask for, and therefore I have disabled them in Firefox 3.

AOL Media playback plug in? NO.

Metastream 3? NO.

Microsoft DRM crap? DOUBLY NO.

Move Media Player? What the hell is it? NO.

Quicktime plugin for Netscape? I don't use it when I don't have to.

Real Networks for Jukebox, Player, and their LiveConnect. OMG NO!!!

Silverlight? What the hell is it? NO.

Windows media player DLL? Not right now, thanks.

Yahoo! application state? Are you nuts?

MOZILLA, WHY are these plug ins installed with Firefox 3? Why don't you give people a chance to opt out of these instead of being a bully and forcing them on us?

In addition, I had to install a new version of my Download Manager Tweak, and then Turn Off Firefox 3's auto virus scanning of downloads. The delay was annoying. I can do that myself. I don't need it for JPG images!

And then I was SO annoyed at the "awesome" new Address Bar in Firefox 3. There are tweaks you can do for that from About:config to stop your bookmarks from appearing and turning off autocomplete, but the real beauty came from a plug in called "oldbar 1.2". Ah... So much better.

Let's see what else I'll have to change.

No comments: