the day after Christmas isn't officially called that, but there's still
the same general deep mark-down discounting going on after Christmas in
the US.
Case in point:
I bought a Hello Kitty 2009 calendar for my nieces like I do every year
since they started coming out, and will continue to do so as long as
they come out. I bought it before Christmas and got a $5 coupon from the
bookstore where I bought the calendar, but it was good only after
Christmas, beginning, you guessed it, on the 26th, a la Boxing Day.
Now, had I waited, I could have bought that calendar for 50% off the day
after Christmas. Maybe I will next year. Borders on The Strip certainly
was well-stocked with Hello Kitty 2009 calendars, as they were last
year. But therein lies the problem - who else is going to want that
calendar too at that time? The store where I got the one I gave had only
1 left. If I had waited, I wouldn't be holding that $5 coupon
beforehand.
So anywho, I waited over an hour for the Waldenbooks at the nearest mall
to open at 10 am. I'm going to remember that from now on, because I got
up early and left the house at 8 am to make sure no one was going to buy
the 2 books of manga I'd been waiting for 3 weeks to ship from Diamond
but never did (and instead ended up being cancelled for no reason).
So I grab the 2 I wanted. Oh! There's a sale on manga. Buy 1, get 1 1/2
price! Well. Can I still use my $5 coupon? The nice ladies at the cash
register say I can! So in the end, I paid $15 for 2 books - I
practically got 1 for free. $5 off the $15 book, and half off the $11
book. Woo!! So I check with Borders, and find 2 more books. 4 books, $15
off total. 30% discount the way I see it. Or the calendar paid for
itself. Whichever. And all this on Boxing Day aka December 26.
The one thing they don't say about Boxing Day is whether or not it's a
sales-tax holiday like the observance of Victoria Day in Canada.
I liked it when we were at Anime North during a Victoria Day weekend.
(niko niko)
No comments:
Post a Comment