Sunday, December 21, 2008

I really really hate coldness

Argh... Last time I looked at the outdoor thermometer, it was 10
degrees. And windy.

I've been looking for air leaks in the basement and found some which
will require more of that spray expanding foam that I bought last time.
And one more mouse hole. Or if not a mouse hole, a hole that could be
used for the satellite cable instead of where it goes now, then plugged
up with that foam stuff.

Then I am upstairs, and it's still windy, but I feel the room trying to
get colder. I find this annoying. I determine one hole in the wall where
this coax cable comes through has to be sealed up and I manage to put
some tape on it. But I still have cold air leaks coming into the
room...!

One window that has plagued me for some time finally got some plastic on
it. I have 3 windows and one got sealed up pretty soon after we moved
in, but I never did anything about the other two.

And even after sealing up what's probably the worst of the three, I
still detect some air leaking near or around the window!!!!! GRRRRR... I
find that some of this cold leaking in comes from some of the wood
thingy at the bottom of the wall near the floor - then I get the
impression that the caulking around the window frame and this wood
border thing needs some attention because it's either not there or
there's not enough.

I noticed my thermometer for my room went from 70 to 72, while mom is
reading around 69 + or minus few degrees downstairs. Of course, I have
my electric radiator on now.

There was some temperature zone near the floor that you could feel where
the cold was, so at least if I haven't stopped the cold leaks entirely,
I have managed to slow them down in some appreciative amount.

For what I have in my room, I simply cannot have cold air near it. It's
going to be a pain in the ass to find and plug up what's left to plug
up. I wonder if plutting plastic on the outside of the window would work
better.

No comments: